Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ancient mock sieges an mock battles
Hello everyone,

I am keenly interested in Greek, Roman and Byzantine military drills and manoeuvres.

In particular now I am studying not only mock battles but also mock sieges in the ancient world. I have read the article of Philip Rance entitled Simulacra Pugnae: The Literary and Historical Tradition of Mock Battles in the Roman and Early Byzantine Army, but
since I am not a military historian I would really appreciate any further help on these topics.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thank you very much indeed for your kind help,

Agostino
Quote:... but also mock sieges in the ancient world.
Okay, two weeks and no takers.

I have always been sceptical about the concept of a "mock (or practice) siege". Roman soldiers had target practice in their fort or fortress campus, and apparently roved about the countryside throwing blunt things at each other. They also practised building ramparts and complicated gate structures out of stacked turf. That pretty much covers the requirements of siegecraft. Doesn't it? :?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
(I suspect I am stumbling into a complicated debate amongst Roman archaeologists here).

Wouldn't building rams, vinneae, and other engines require a certain amount of practice? The soldiers who specialized in things like that must have needed more hands to cut timber, move materials, and drag the things around a bit to make sure they were built properly! Building a siege ramp is similarly a bit different from building a camp wall, because its a wedge shape with a road instead of a long, low mound with a little walk at the top.

I think there may be a bit about this in Maurice, but I don't know of any other evidence for practicing siege works in peacetime.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thanks again for your kind help and your helpful suggestions,

I have read with great interest your relatively recent article on The Roman Siege of Burnswark (2003) in which you express your reservations about the concept of mock or practice siege applied to the Roman Army.

Could you please specify the sources of your affirmations on the Roman military practices mentioned in your answer.

Best wishes

Agostino
thank you very much indeed for your answer
Agostino
Quote:Could you please specify the sources of your affirmations on the Roman military practices mentioned in your answer.
I think the Britannia article was reasonably well annotated. You may also be interested in a more recent "popular" statement of my argument in Ancient Warfare magazine V.6 (December 2011/January 2012).

Is there anything specific that I can help you with?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
No, thank you your answer is exhaustive.
Best regards,
Agostino

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons, Warriors and Battles of Ancient Iberia Steven James 2 2,114 11-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Ancient battles decribed from both sides eugene 3 1,436 11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Sardaukar
  Study of ancient battles in ancient Rome Timotheus 3 1,916 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Macedon