Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battlecry
Avete,<br>
<br>
Before and during a charge, the Russians would take up the cry “Hurrah! Hurrah pobieda!â€ÂÂ
The Athenian battlecry was "Alalalala", in the movie Alexander the phalanx's battlecry is 'En Yalios'.<br>
<br>
The Spartans at Plataiai: the leader said "Who is a brave man? Who will follow his leader? Who will be the first to thrust an enemy down?" and then the hoplites replied: "Who is a brave man? Who will follow his leader? Who will be the first to thrust an enemy down?" while marching forward towards the enemy. <p></p><i></i>
It seems that Greeks typically chanted a "Paian" or "Paean" going in to battle. This was a hymn originally to Apollo and later to any god or gods. It could be used to identify the troops singing it: from Thucydides we learn that the Athenians in the night battle at Syracuse were frightened because they heard a paean in the Doric dialect. The Athenians spoke the Attic-Ionic dialect and the Spartans a Doric dialect.<br>
<br>
What's your source on the "Alalalala"?<br>
I'm not sure that we can trust a movie as a source, but the name would be "Enyalios" which means "warlike" and is an epithet of Ares, the god of war. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
The battle cry "Alalalala" is ran on reading a couple of texts on the internet en some books, which seemed quite accurate.<br>
<br>
Danno Ulpius, can you speak Greek or do you know some ancient Greek words? Because that would be quite handy as a Greek reenactor... <p></p><i></i>
I can read ancient Greek, and if I rehearse what I'm going to say I could speak some (but carrying on a conversation would be nigh well impossible for me at this point...). <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Xenohon sais that the Greek mercenaries of Cyrous at Kounaxa chanted "ZEYS,SOTIR,NIKH" which means<br>
Zeys,savior,victory - more freelly our god grand us victory.<br>
In Greek if you repeat it 'it sounds like a marching drill and to the army of artaxerxes the chanting and aproaching palnx must indeed seem very terrifying! <p></p><i></i>