Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Statues of Antiquity database now open
"The aim of the ‘Last Statues’ project is to document and examine the remarkable changes in the way statues were used in Late Antiquity, in the context of contemporary historical and cultural developments. Changes in the statue-habit indeed provide a very effective way of charting and envisaging the broader transformations that created first ‘Late Antiquity’, and eventually the ‘End of Antiquity’ itself.
The project-team will collect all the evidence, empire-wide, for the erection of new statues, between about 280 and 650 AD: statue-bases with inscriptions (which provide most of the data); fragmentary and whole statues themselves; and scattered references to new statues in historical and literary texts. This systematic work of collection has never been done before....The project-team will eventually produce a study of ‘The Last Statues of Antiquity’, in book form. This will be supported by an illustrated and searchable on-line catalogue, freely available, of all the data for late antique statuary".
Is searchable, free, and occasionally clunky. But a great resource and a vast amount of work led by Bryan Ward- Perkins, to whom we're very grateful!

Its here http://laststatues.classics.ox.ac.uk/
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks for posting. Looks to be informative.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for posting it Caballo! An excellent instrument, seems efficient and user-Friendly!
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
@Caballo :
+1 :!:
...however, into each life a little rain must fall..... :roll:
@Ligus : I did not find it as user-friendly as you did.
My first searches eg. >>> http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...&id=288149
ended .... in the nowhere.
Maybe time will teach. :oops:

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Siggi - try this (advanced search under 'Barletta'):

Barletta search*

Click on the statue code (LSA 441) and you'll get a variety of close-up images.

* edit - this link doesn't seem to work unless you've already accessed the database! But just go to search and put Barletta in the location box and it should come up fine...
Nathan Ross
Simplex wrote:

@Ligus : I did not find it as user-friendly as you did.

Hello Simplex, honestly i have tried a few searches in “SIMPLE SEARCH” and I find it rather “friendly” :roll: , but it was my first look.

Your first searches on LSA was for the Colossal bronze statue of Emperor now in Barletta?
Try in simple search : Barletta... it worked for me.

EDITSadsorry)cross posted with Nathan Ross.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Thanks folks,
.....some people seem to have "bad hair"-day , today mine was probably a "bad search day" :oops:

Greez & Thanks

Simplex
Siggi K.
Nice one Caballo!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)