Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Travel Interactive Map
I had a friend send me a link to this website developed by some people at Stanford which I was not aware of.

It is an interactive map that allows users to put in different destinations and it calculates the time it took to travel to those areas based on

"fourteen different modes of road travel (ox cart, porter, fully loaded mule, foot traveler, army on the march, pack animal with moderate loads, mule cart, camel caravan, rapid military march without baggage, horse with rider on routine travel, routine and accelerated private travel, fast carriage, and horse relay) that generate nine discrete outcomes in terms of speed and three in terms of expense for each road segment. Road travel is subject to restrictions of movement across mountainous terrain in the winter and travel speed is adjusted for substantial grade"

It appears very detailed and includes many historical factors. A great resource for anyone interested in all things Roman. It always amazes me at how much was required to actually keep the empire ticking.

ORBIS Map
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
That is a wonderful tool for writers, and those just curious about travelling distances/times.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
This is great! Really interesting: If me and my donkey wanted to get to Rome, leaving tomorrow, we would be there by the 26th of July. It's not so far away!
Eduardo Vázquez

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interactive Trajans column Dave G 1 1,516 07-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Empire Travel Times Flavivs Aetivs 0 1,165 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  How fast could a rider travel over Roman roads? eperlanus 8 5,443 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Epictetus