Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peloponesian War
As this is my favorite aspect of Greek history and I consider it the most important battle in western society. Who was at fault for its outbreak. Was athens just too expansive and imperialist, not to mention arrogant. Or were the Spartans and their peloponesian league just jealous of Athenian power. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
A very complex issue, economic, strategic, egos and status issues involved. Pericles has to shoulder a considerable amount of blame. <p></p><i></i>
I think the move that Athens made to place a "panhellenic" colony in Spartan territory at a place known as "Thurii" was a violation of the "Thirty Years peace" accord which proceeded the war. Pericles and the Atheniens agreed to help the Sybarites in founding the colony in an unusual manner-according to Donald Kagan's "The Peloponessian War".<br>
<br>
However, when a war broke out and the colony of Taras (one of Sparta's own) defeated Thurrii, Sparta flaunted its victory for everyone to see, so...if Athens REALLY had some hidden ambitions going, then they should have taken some action to protect it.<br>
<br>
I think Athens was trying to gain trust of showing the Spartans that they TRULY didn't have any imperialistic motives. That-in and of itself-makes one seem to distrust the Athenians. After all, why would you benefit from your enemies trust? Perhaps to get closer and stab them in the back, when they least expect it?<br>
<br>
I think Athenian consumerism and imperialism fueled the war, but how can you really blame the Athenians. That would be like blaming for the price that the banana workers in central America get paid! Expansion is a result of human nature, until the race of mankind ceases to expand, or either we find a new planet or space-station to live on, consumerism will always fuel wars. Folks began to see change, the lives they knew as children seem to be something foreign, and change scares folks.<br>
<br>
I think the Spartans acted defensively...they had to put a stop to the expansionism of Athens.<br>
<br>
-Sansoucio <p></p><i></i>
Athens broke the Thirty Years peace. ('nuff said.) <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Read the first chapter of Thucydides' History of the Peloponesian war, he goes into the triggers that started the war but he belives the real reason is the Rise of Athenian power, causing a decline in Spartan influence. This situation could only lead to eventual conflict between these to superpowers of the Hellenic world. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  peloponesian impression Andy 6 1,856 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  Thucydides Peloponesian War Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 4 3,789 06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus