Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapping software
As I polish off a thesis, the topic of maps has come up. I'd prefer to not have to draw mine freehand, and good existing ones are hard to find. (My Barrington is too big, and includes too many irrelevant things).

Does anyone know of a program which will generate a basic "outline of coasts" map, and insert other features like cities, rivers, or mountain peaks as needed? It seems like there would be a lot of demand for this in ancient history, especially if it generated maps suitable for printing in 8.5x11" or A4.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
+1 !
Thank you, Sean...
....you must've read my mind, someway.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
May I just confirm what sort of mapping you're thinking of?

3D?

Profiling?

Or good old fashioned cartographic "proper" maps (with subject/areas of interest filters by the sounds of it).
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Vindex
1. Thank you very much.
2. As far as I'm concerned it's the old-fashioned 2D maps.
No need for 3-D yet, at least on my side.

Simplex
Siggi K.
I have at work a copy of peutinger 1 m long( part of the map) i use as display.
I can post the map.( the map is at work) I will post it asap.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I find "silent maps" always helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blank_maps

Peutingeriana:

http://www.euratlas.net/cartogra/peutinger/

http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chrono..._pe00.html

VERY helpful:

http://referenceworks.brillonline.com/br...ements-i-3
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:As I polish off a thesis, the topic of maps has come up. I'd prefer to not have to draw mine freehand, and good existing ones are hard to find. (My Barrington is too big, and includes too many irrelevant things).

Does anyone know of a program which will generate a basic "outline of coasts" map, and insert other features like cities, rivers, or mountain peaks as needed? It seems like there would be a lot of demand for this in ancient history, especially if it generated maps suitable for printing in 8.5x11" or A4.
You need Natural Earth. It's what I use for all my mapping now and it is easily imported into a GIS program like QGIS and you can then choose whichever projection you need. Best of all, like QGIS, Natural Earth is free and open source. You can even be a smartypants and import stuff mapped into Google Earth into the resulting map. This is how I am generating maps for my roads book at this very moment.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Dr. Bishop. I will have a look at Natural Earth.

Quote:May I just confirm what sort of mapping you're thinking of?

3D?

Profiling?

Or good old fashioned cartographic "proper" maps (with subject/areas of interest filters by the sounds of it).
I'm not sure what you mean. The minimum would be a map with coastlines, major rivers, and the option to include particular cities or mountain peaks. Elevation is often more detail than is needed, at least for a basic "where is this city in relation to everywhere else" and data on ground cover, while valuable, is hard to find in ancient history. The ability to draw in political borders or lesser rivers freehand and get my tremors corrected would also be nice.

I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that if you write a narrative history, you have a responsibility to provide a set of maps with every significant place name on them if you want to be understood. Books on recent wars tend to be especially bad on this.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Thanks Dr. Bishop. I will have a look at Natural Earth.

Vindex post=312447 Wrote:May I just confirm what sort of mapping you're thinking of?

3D?

Profiling?

I'm not sure what you mean...

Perhaps I misunderstood your use of the term "mapping". There are many and varied mapping applications/software available depending on what it is you were after - I was just trying to clarify that. But you seem to have found what it is you were looking for so no problem.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theban Mapping Project richsc 0 864 04-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Last Post: richsc