Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman 4th century Baptistery
A rather fine Late Roman lead container- possibly a portable baptistery- found near a villa in Oxfordshire and currently in the museum store.

[Image: OxfordMuseumResource011.jpg]

[Image: OxfordMuseumResource010.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
The Basilica Punch bowl with a Chi-Rho!? Made of lead. Explains a lot!
Thanks for posting!
Why portable though? it looks quite big!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The theory that it is portable comes from the two "handles" with holes. Possibly for carrying. Possibly just hanging it near a water source. But the empty vessel can be carried comfortably by two people , I am told.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Very nice example, indeed.
Quote:The theory that it is portable comes from the two "handles" with holes. Possibly for carrying. Possibly just hanging it near a water source. But the empty vessel can be carried comfortably by two people , I am told.
I guess that anything that's not constructed on the spot and meant not to be moved (ever) can be labelled as 'portable'. If it was to be transported from the guy who created it to the place where his customer resided, it would have to be 'portable' as well.

However, it's a very different if this object was constructed as 'portable', for a specific reason. I have problems with labels such as this, because archaeologist all too often 'read into' objects what is not there. I see here an idea that some baptiseries would 'have to be' portable to be transported for a religious purpose. But as this object goes this theory cannot be supported.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Possibly just hanging it near a water source. .

As it's lead, you'd imagine that there would be obvious signs of wear if it had been hung by rope or chains for any length of time.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thats what I was thinking. I suppose it could be carried to a storage area when it was not being used though?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:As it's lead, you'd imagine that there would be obvious signs of wear if it had been hung by rope or chains for any length of time.
Indeed. Are there such signs?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Are there any dimensions available?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.