Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
York legion fortress
Does anyone know of a detailed plan or reconstruction of the legion fortress at York? More detailed, that is, than this one or this one. I realise there hasn't been a thorough excavation, for obvious reasons, but an informed hypothetical plan would be good. Alternatively, does anyone know the original source for this reconstruction drawing?

Thanks - Nathan
Nathan Ross
Those are defintely better than what I have seen, AFAIR.

there is a memeber of this forum who may have other info.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This any good?

http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/secrets/roman.htm

A better copy of which may be available here (but can be pricey to say the least!):

http://www.englishheritageimages.com/rom...82936.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:This any good?
Yes, these are nice paintings - but rather small and, as you say, expensive for the full sized versions!

The only reports on York I've been able to find are Home's Roman York: the Legionary Headquarters and Colonia of Eboracum from 1924 (!), and a chapter in Wacher's The Towns of Roman Britain, which is quite detailed but focusses on the civilian settlement. Does anyone know if there have been any more recent papers or chapters?

*EDIT - having said that, this appears to be a pretty good recent survey, with a decent bibliography too. Still no overall plan of the fortress though... Anybody know if Ottaway's book contains anything like that?
Nathan Ross
Hello Nathan.

The reconstruction drawing appears in a copy of 'Roman Sites in Yorkshire' by Tom Garlick. 1978.

The modern(published 1993) colour reconstruction, which you have shown above, appears in Patrick Ottaway's book half page size along with a plan of the fortress but as that is almost twenty years ago I would imagine a more up to date plan must exist.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ottoway's 2004 edition of Roman York includes a map of the fort with keyed site locations of find spots. It also has a map of the civillian settlement with similar numbered locations keyed to pits and finds. Plus there is a York environs map.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Thanks Paul and Graham. Looks like I'd better put the new edition of Ottoway's book on the 'to do' list!
Nathan Ross