Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
portraying a legionairi 1st century AD,
Quote:Matt, in the photo, is that before or after neatsfooting it?
With mine the limit to the movement is a pain in the A.. but then I havent treated the leather.
I have 2 from A gent called Walpole, which I intend to leather and use to see if there is a difference. I plan on using some buffalo hide I have as it is very soft.

The photo was taken when I first applied the neatsfoot oil, now that the oil has set in and the leather has been broken in, the manica flexes a little bit more. I can bring my arm to about 90 degrees or so. I have noticed that when the buckle over the elbow is not buckled, it gives you greater flexibility, but you lose some support to keep the manica in place.

Neatsfoot oil has done wonders for the manica, the goatskin leather was very dry and tight before application, I highly suggests using some if you have movement issues
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Yes, been thinking about it ! 8-) Just a little worried it might kick of psoriasis or
dermatitis...been exposed to so many chemicals over the years my resistance isn't what it used to be!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron....it could a the tannins used in the leather.

Legion: TBD
I don't know how sensitive your skin is Byron, but neatsfoot oil was once prescribed to cure scaly skin and is considered beneficial as a skin moisturizer
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Thanks Matt, I didn't know that.
Matt, so far I think it's only from the long exposure to the detergents they use offshore...
but no real issues yet, so hopefully as Matt says, neatsfoot wont be a problem!
I wonder what tannins they have/use in the veg tan leathers Matt!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel