Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
portraying a legionairi 1st century AD,
hi all,

I have done my first training with the legio XIIII Gemina martria victrix, my aim in this venture was was obsession with the legionarii soldier, nothing wrong with auxuillary just not my bag , any how the small problem i have is am have tattoos bellow my knees and both my arms are full tattoo sleeves.
i know i could use puttee/ leg wraps no issues what about arms as tunic should be short sleeved,

Adam
The general consensus is that we do not have physical evidence that Roman legionaries, however I recall reading that both Julius Caesar and Augustus are described wearing long sleeve tunics. How popular this was may be lost to time, but we know that the Gauls wore long sleeve tunics, it is not unfathomable to imagine that some Romans in the North may have also
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
would it have been feesible for a long sleaved tunic was worn under the standard tunic in places such as germania and northern britain
I don't know if there is evidence to back that up, certainly though smaller tunics were sometimes used as an under-garment.

Unless you have some high quality makeup that won't run off when you start to sweat or rub against your armor I don't see anything but a long sleeve tunic feasible, but you should check with your group
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I wouldn't combine a long sleeved under-tunic with a short sleeved tunic. Just use a long sleeved over-tunic also. It is perfectly feasible to be used in the colder climates. Same goes for trousers, although windings might prove a more accepted alternative.
ALA I BATAVORUM
one word adam, manica the segmented arm guard worn by legionarii
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
my group aint being the most helpful at the moment, dont imagine for one moment that a legionarii soldier would not wear long sleaves in northern britain but evedenice is in short supply may be leather wrist coverings then that only leaves elbow to the leather to worry about, could use cut skin coloured tights in that area
Quote:may be leather wrist coverings

Well, there is absolutely even less evidence for that option. I would highly prefer a long sleeved tunic of that.
ALA I BATAVORUM
so in this period re enactment it is allowed to wear long sleaved tunic
Quote:so in this period re enactment it is allowed to wear long sleaved tunic

I would say that for a legionairy in the first century stationed in the north it is perfectly feasible to go for a long sleeved tunic, yes. For the colder season that is, nevertheless.
ALA I BATAVORUM
i am struggling to get advice from my group on what they will or will not allow leg bindings are easy to sort, just as long as there are ways round the tattoos on my lower arms

Adam
Are the tattoos modern or something that could have been period done? If so there are the rather drastic options of modifications to look period or even removal which is supposed to be easier now days. If period the explanation could be you were captured and spent years with your barbarian captors and got the tattoos to gain their trust so you could escape. And of course as mentioned before you could just wait for cold weather to turn out.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
not brightly coloured but a combination of skulls dragons motorbikes ect, removal is something i dont want as they hold meaning, i would also like to turn out in the summer months too Smile what a pain in the arse lol
In several books i see miles with leg covering or even trousers, i do the roman surveyor, who would go trough high gras and thorns so he does cover his legs. The romans copied almost everything from the gauls sword, hamata, helmets, but not the long sleeved tunis ans trousers???? Confusedhock:
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
so may be a manica on the right arm then which is the sleave that will be most on show, and roman style/cloth bandage on other which will be mosstly hidden with scutum as suggested by a most helpful member, winter events long sleaved tunic,

Adam