Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is my brass tarnishing?
Update, I tried Moi's lemon juice suggestion after doing a little research on the internet, just on one of the more tarnished plates:

[attachment=3932]manicatarnish4.jpg[/attachment]

The lemon juice worked quite well, and i thoroughly wiped down the surface with a damp rag soaked with just water to ensure the lemon juice didn't linger overnight. I will say, the brass has sort of a whitish metal appearance, compared to some of my other brass pieces.

[attachment=3933]manicatarnish5.jpg[/attachment]

Ultimately some of the tarnishing, as evident by the above picture, near the edge where the plates overlap, could not be removed due to the location, but it is much less noticeable than the close up would have you believe. And it wasn't worth my goatskin leather soaking in lemon juice to try. Thanks again everybody, especially Moi.

Matt, maybe you can add this to your "Equipment tutorial" thread for an "All natural, and possibly historical way to clean brass"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Will do. The parts that didn't come clean with the juice will probably need something akin to autosol or magic blue, or brasso.

Legion: TBD
Certainly a natural solution although I'm not sure how much lemon juice would be avaialbel on the limes! (And in damp Northern Europe it was probably required more often than not!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Lemon juice would probably have been rare in most of the empire, but vinegar was available all the time. Plain old white vinegar works just fine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Actually it looks like my seg where my dog licked it -- he liked the nut oil Hibernicus had oiled it w/ and I walked in one day and was like WTF? Looked a lot like camouflage... Anyway...
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)