Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Promotion in the field
I need some help with a 'promotion in the field' scene. I want to award a miles a torc for bravery and loyalty. Any ideas? Do we have sources describing that?
Ammian describes (I think) how soldiers were awarded torcs for bravery. I mean to recreate such a ceremony/event.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Would it not be a similar evant as the pay ceremony? A bunch of troops lined up, and the awardees called forward?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes that part is clear enough. I can of course fit in the rst by 'association', but I'd like to know if any sources actually describe it.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I need some help with a 'promotion in the field' scene. I want to award a miles a torc for bravery and loyalty. Any ideas? Do we have sources describing that?
You could begin with Peter Connolly's Tiberius Claudius Maximus: The Cavalryman (1988), pp. 26-27, discussing Maximus' awards and showing him being rewarded by Trajan. The tombstone (AE 1969, 583) also depicts Maximus' torques and armillae.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
There may be something in the tale of Scipio before Numantia, where he had to award two Mural Crowns to avoid mutiny/in-fighting between two different corps to which both claimants belonged. I can't remember the source, though - Polybius? Livy? Or one of the compilations like Frontinus or Valerius Maximus?
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
I had a quick look through Maxfield's Military Decorations of the Roman Army, which largely covers the Principiate, but while there's lots of detail about the various dona, there's not much about how they were actually awarded. Both Polybius and Caesar mention the distribution of awards after battle, but not much beyond the bare note.

Under the empire, it appears that the emperor himself gave the award with his own hand (imperatoria manu). This would be trickier in the later empire, with the increasingly sacred person of the emperor making personal contact rather more ritualised - unless the lucky awardee was being promoted to the Protectores, who I believe had the right to 'adore the purple', he probably wouldn't have been allowed to get too close to the August Person.

The only brief mention of the ceremony I can find is this, from Tertullian de corona, probably dating to the Severan era:

Quote:while the bounty of our most excellent emperors was dispensed in the camp, the soldiers, laurel-crowned, were approaching. One of them... his head alone uncovered, the useless crown in his hand — already even by that peculiarity known to every one as a Christian — was nobly conspicuous. Accordingly, all began to mark him out, jeering him at a distance, gnashing on him near at hand. The murmur is wafted to the tribune, when the person had just left the ranks.
The tribune at once puts the question to him, Why are you so different in your attire? He declared that he had no liberty to wear the crown with the rest. Being urgently asked for his reasons, he answered, I am a Christian... Then the case was considered and voted on; the matter was remitted to a higher tribunal; the offender was conducted to the prefects.
The 'higher tribunal' would presumably be the seat of the emperor(s) - so the laurel-crowned soldiers were approaching this tribunal from the ranks in order to receive their 'bounty' (dona?). The murmur-hearing tribune would perhaps be the commanding officer of the men's unit - perhaps indeed he would represent them to the emperors, calling out their names and the nature of their brave deed; the men might then either step up to the tribunal themselves for the emperor to decorate them in person, or (more likely in the later era, perhaps?), the emperor would hand the dona to a subordinate, who would pass it to the tribune who in turn would present it to the deserving soldier.

Presumably quite a lavish ceremony, whatever the actual arrangements may have been. It probably varied between emperors though - Julian, who Ammianus describes as giving traditional dona in Persia, may have been rather more relaxed about personal contact with his men, since he was consciously trying to revive 'ancient' practices...
Nathan Ross
Thanks Nathan!
Quote:Presumably quite a lavish ceremony, whatever the actual arrangements may have been. It probably varied between emperors though - Julian, who Ammianus describes as giving traditional dona in Persia, may have been rather more relaxed about personal contact with his men, since he was consciously trying to revive 'ancient' practices...
Yes, lavish ceremony becomes ever more THE thing in Late Antiquity. Julian was not only interested in reviving ancient custom, he was also a general in the field, and not used to court ceremony at all.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans