Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silica gel to avoid rust
Rust is the demon for mail, and I keep my new 6mm, riveted hamata in a sealed plastic bin between uses, oiling it after each use. I was wondering about the efficacy of keeping packets of silica gel in there as well, to soak up any left over moisture. Has anyone tried this long term? I shudder to think of getting rust off 5000 rings.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Mail is pretty much self cleaning, the action of wearing it cleans off most of the rust. You are doing pretty much all that can be done, wear it, oil it and store it in a dry, clean container. Silica bags may help a bit if the atmosphere is particularly humid of damp.
phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
Rice (uncooked) works too Rich.

Legion: TBD
keep it in a container with dry sand.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
The silica gel packs I find in my shipments usually get re-used..not sure how much it has helped though. most of my mail is pretty oily.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I keep the silica gel in with my bronze coins to help prevent Bronze disease. Every 4-6 months though you need to bake them in the oven to remove any moisture or else they don't work anymore. At least that is what I've heard.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Where do you get the silica gel? I have also heard if you bake it, it will change colour back to it's original state and be good to use over.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Where do you get the silica gel? I have also heard if you bake it, it will change colour back to it's original state and be good to use over.

Whenever I get stuff shipped there are always a bunch of packets. I think you can buy them at Office Depot too.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Haven't managed to find a place to buy them over here.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I keep my mail in a leather bag. Before that I kept it in a cardboard box. If it ever got wet, I allowed it to air dry first before putting it away. Keeping mail in plastic seems a bad idea to me as moisture can't escape. Leather and cardboard take moisture away. My mail has stayed rust free.

Paul
Paul Mortimer
A linen bag, or an (open) plastic bag. When dry, no moisture can get in either.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you avoid Tinned cookware dangers jkaler48 4 1,583 01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS