Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Connolly
Sadly I've just heard that Peter Connolly died yesterday. He drew the Corbridge Hoard for me, shared the driving round Italy once, could never remember my cat's name (and pretended the same with my kids), and told me tales of Russell Robinson (with whom he had also toured Italy). A great guy and a much better artist than he would ever admit (although he would always tell you he was better than 'Mr Prontaprint'... about whom the less said the better). He deserved much better publishers than the ones he got; luckily, the rest of us recognised his abilities and valued him for them.

Best bit of my tour of Pompeii with him was getting him to pose in front of the buildings he painted for his book whilst his on-site recreation of the siege of Alesia for me is something I shall always treasure.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Sad news indeed. Sad
Nathan Ross
Sad news indeed. My condolences to his wife and family.

He was a great source of inspiration and his books were invaluable contributions to Roman studies. He had me pose for one of the legionaries in his book on Maximus so I will treasure that memory along with the encouragement and kind comments he made about my own work.

He will be missed but not forgotten.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Indeed thoughts with his family at this sad time.

His illustrations went a long way to inspiring my love of all things Roman Militaria at a very early age.
Marc Byrne
My condolences to his family and friends.

It's truly sad news. He was a great illustrator and artist, and his work, on military as well as civilian matters, certainly contributed to drawing many people to ancient history. He will truly be missed.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Very sad to hear this, my condolences to his family, you Mike, anyone who knew him and the ESG.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and thought him to be a gentle, kind and always interested as well as interesting man.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I have thoroughly enjoyed his illustrations as well as his writings. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family.
Robert Reeves
His book on Ancient Rome and Greece was a favorite of mine.
Sorry to hear he has passed away!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A truely sad loss. I loved his "Roman Cavalryman" book and his drawings and saddle reconstuctions were at the top of the field. :-(
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
There goes probably the greatest inspiration to all of us...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
A sad event - but what a legacy! Introducing so many of us to experimental archaeology and a talent for bringing the past back to life in his illustrations.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sad to hear, he was an inspiration to us all, and his books are still to be found everywhere - that must be some testament to his talents. I love his artwork.

Wikipedia has still not altered his page..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
"Greece and Rome at War" was my first real Roman book...I hate when good people pass away.

Legion: TBD
Truly sad, his children's books help spark my love for Greece and Rome, and Greece and Rome at War will always be a favorite.

Of course, I never even came close to meeting him, but he always seemed to be the type of person who would be fascinating to speak with, and count as an acquaintance.
Alexander
Salve

I think Vindex put it best. Peter Connolly may have left us, but as long as people read his books he will live on. He inspired so many of us in our interests that there is little chance of him being forgotten for a long time.

Sad news, but lets celebrate his wonderful achievements.

Vale

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.