Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex- Voto from LEGIO I ITALICA
I found in the archaelogical Museum in Sofia (Bulgaria) one EX-Voto from 2 miles from LEGIO I ITALICA located in castrum of NOVAE (today Svishtov)and i have traslate from greek; somebody have more news abt ax-voto?

text: P(oplios) Rikeinios/ B(?). Alestes le/gi(ones) protes ita/likes theo Di/ei
uper sote/rias euchen a/netheka(n)

is:

Publio Rikeinio e B. Alestes della legione I Italica al dio Zeus dedicarono in ringraziamento per la salvezza

english:
Publius Rikeinio and B. Alestes the legion I Italica to the god Zeus
thanks for the salvation dedicated

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow, that is interesting!
What exactly did it come from, the ex-VOTO?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's a fascinating looking item - although I really can't work out what it is!

The inscription seems fine as an ex-voto, but the object itself is a mystery. Looks like it attaches to something at the bottom, with a rising cone or shaft (?), and the ring at the top as a handle?

:|
Nathan Ross
After seeing this image (thanks for posting!) it came to my mind a Bulgarian article that I have read time ago (translate in Italian), spoken of the Legio I Italica and the fort of Novae.
In the text appears a photo of the ex-voto, but it didn't say nothing about it (just the image captions).
The object itself is really enigmatic to me...

The museum caption doesn't give any explanation or reconstruction hypothesis?
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
I traslate the text just after my back in Italy, and unfortunately when in Sofia i don't ask explanation at Museum; btw i suppose that this item was located in a templum and maybe can remember a signum of some units. In my next trip there i would like to ask more information

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio I Italica Purplest 12 2,702 12-24-2020, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Flavius Inismeus
  Legio III Italica pars inferior, Castra Regina, 5th Century Restitvtvs 35 11,410 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Severinus
  Legio III Italica & Province Raetia. Looking for info markusaurelius 6 2,487 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius