Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEVA 2012
Which group were you with Piotr?
You obviously never made it to the Batavians and the XIIIIth's area!
Yes there were some poor levels of kit but on the whole I would say the
XIIIIth are at te top level. All wear subarmalis except perhaps one or 2 new members.
Apart fro the weather it was a great first impression as it was def
A great Roman event. The standard of kit at the Rome parade is Hollywood and fantasy
In comparison to most of what I saw! I noticed one vendor however selling leather musculatavwhich
Etc but I guess I didn't see everyone!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I had a great time. You Romans made an eastern enemy feel very welcome :mrgreen:

This was my first event so don't really have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was fantastic. A lot of the guys in formation looked incredible and it felt awesome to be a part of something so big.

It was also lovely to finally meet everybody as well :grin:
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
WhIch group were you with pitor?
You obviously never made it to the XIIIIth or Batavians area,
As most if not all our kit is of pretty high level, possibly excepting the newest members who were still better than the majority of participants at Rome.
I would agree there were some poor kits on display and even one seller with leather musculatavwhich on sale!
But our area I would say all the participants were pretty good!
Can't speak for other areas though .
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:WhIch group were you with pitor?

Attached myself to the end of the column and then had a good look at the returning legionaries. Didn't look at auxilia, sorry.

Quote:I would agree there were some poor kits on display and even one seller with leather musculatavwhich on sale!

A seller? No. About four or five of them with LARP gear on sale. Latex weapons and all. And the official entertainment was provided by some hippie Clannad-wannabies, with two guys doing the rounds in long white sleeping gowns.
Hi all
I have just got home from Chester and i have not the energy to go into the wrongs and rights of kit.
All i can say is thank you to everyone who attended knowing the weather was going to be "rough". A lot of people travelled a long way, Ireland and Holland that i know of, they were not made to go, all gave up thier time for this event.
Lets continue to make this bigger and better next year.
Kevin
Kevin
Hi

I have returned and just about thawed out! While glad I was not wearing kit sitting about all day gets pretty cold!

it reminded me of the early scenes in 'Carry on Cleo' when Caesar's ADC says to Caesar, who is sitting miserably in a rain lashed tent with his feet in a bowl of hot water, that "there is a messenger without". To which Caesar replies 'if we stay in this country much longer we will all be without!!!"

As Kevin said, full marks to all those who turned up and took part in the event. In spite of everything and missing the main parade and the Saturday Gladiator show, I really enjoyed it and even sold some prints and cards. I was pleased to see one of my paintings enlarged on a banner for the Roman Fort Project, if you are not using it again guys I would really like it!!!

There seemed to be lots of leg wrappings. Have I started a trend? Do people really read my books?

It was nice to meet old friends and some new ones.

I have asked Robert to post some of my photos.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
This was my first event as a re-enactor and you Romans made an Eastern enemy feel very welcome! :mrgreen:

It was lovely to meet lots of old friends and even more new friends. Big Grin
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
Quote:This was my first event as a re-enactor and you Romans made an Eastern enemy feel very welcome! :mrgreen:

It was lovely to meet lots of old friends and even more new friends. Big Grin
:wink: :x
Heh heh now we have lulled you into a false sense of security, we can spring the trap! :mrgreen:

Was good to see you again Nadeem, you looked the part on horseback!
And marching. Following the cavalry on the first day was .....VERY..... Authentic is one way of putting it!
I now know exactly what a real legionary felt like :x

Was good to see you again Graham, Ben and the rest of you!
I hope this event goes from strength to strength on the future!

And the kit levels continue to improve!!

Piotr, next time say hello and I will show you a half decent subarmalis under
mail!
Btw it's 'ring-mail' not chain!
:mrgreen:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I believe you.
I'm not saying everyone's kit was bad. I'm not throwing rocks at specific groups. What I'm saying is that overall level was not good. Majority of people I've seen had some big kit problems and there were some truly horrific examples of larp and Mordor. This is because apparently no standards are enforced in any way and everyone is accepted.

I've even seen a key-ring mail. I kid you not. I don't know what's worse, that, or the bracers and evil-black helmet on an officer.
Thanks Byron. It was great to see you again after several years, and you looked great in your kit as well! Smile

Graham, it was lovely to meet you as well. Confusedmile:
Nadeem Ahmad

Quote:I believe you.
I'm not saying everyone's kit was bad. I'm not throwing rocks at specific groups. What I'm saying is that overall level was not good. Majority of people I've seen had some big kit problems and there were some truly horrific examples of larp and Mordor. This is because apparently no standards are enforced in any way and everyone is accepted.

I've even seen a key-ring mail. I kid you not. I don't know what's worse, that, or the bracers and evil-black helmet on an officer.

Thank the gods for shielding my innocent eyes from these monstrosities! Lol
Well I hope the authentic groups have given the others something to think about for the future!
I think perhaps things can only get better!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: Following the cavalry on the first day was .....VERY..... Authentic is one way of putting it!
I now know exactly what a real legionary felt like :x

PBI!!

Get yourself a horse Byron or get the organisers to take a leaf out of the Trooping of the Colour :wink: . The horses come AFTER the infantry for a very good reason...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yeah maybe next time! :-)
Btw, what's PBI?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
PBI= Poor bloody infantry...

[Image: 25455.JPG]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Yeah maybe next time! :-)
Btw, what's PBI?

My apologies - thought you'd know that one!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 Mergus 78 13,993 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat