Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How ‘Great’ was Alexander?
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>More than two thousand years people argue about Alexander. Why not join them?<br>
<br>
Point of view #1<br>
Legendary hero. Great in everything. A knight in shining armor. The best warrior and king that have ever lived on this earth has to be held up as an example to young people.<br>
<br>
<br>
Point of view #1<br>
Alexander needlessly depleted the resources of Macedonia, alienated his own countrymen, took unwarranted risks, triumphed more by luck than skill, drank too much, indulged a boundless ego, and exhibited none of the lofty ideals attributed to him by Plutarch.<br>
Reprehensible Alexander beset by paranoia, megalomania, alcoholism, and violence.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Which point of view is somehow closer to your own perception of Alexander?<br>
</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p208.ezboard.com/fgreekarmytalkfrm8.processVote?topicID=18.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>'Noble hero'</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>'Mean villain'</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>‘Healthy’ mix</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p208.ezboard.com/fgreekarmytalkfrm8.showMessage?topicID=18.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
how can one argue alexander not being great. Look at the influences he had on the middle east with helenizing it. Nobody had a bigger influence on that region than he did, if not for that habit of enjoying the sack of wine, alexander could have conquered into asia. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial