Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthian helmet of steel?
Hi all,<br>
<br>
in eBay I found several beautiful Corinthians, mostly made of steel (mostly cheaper), some made of brass. In my books an illustrations I only see helmets of bronze. So my question, is there any evidence for such types to be made of steel?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Thats an easy one, No. Corinthian helmet finds have all been Bronze. <p></p><i></i>
Thank You jhhoffman,<br>
<br>
I thought in the same direction as I found not a single depiction showing other than bronze helmets, but I am no expert in Greek armour. So this helmet from eBay - as fine as it looks - is not really worth the money?<br>
<br>
[url=http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6127506060&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT" target="top]cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6127506060&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT[/url] <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
No, that doesn't look very good to me at all. Both the design and the material are questionable. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Hi all,<br>
<br>
on all remaining examples - except of the Illyrian type - I don't see any device to fix the helmet crest. Were the crests on e. g. Corinthian helmets detachable and how were they fixed at all?<br>
<br>
Uwe<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
High there the corinthian crest was held on by a couple of rings, I whole heartedly recommend Connolys "Greece and Rome at War", The helmet on ebay is pretty average if you want to see a good example of corinthian helmets have a look at these;<br>
<br>
www.artemisgallery.com/it...temis.html<br>
<br>
and<br>
<br>
www.thecityreview.com/f02sant.html<br>
<br>
Jason. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steel corinthian Tarbicus 2 1,370 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Looking for a new Greek Corinthian helmet, any ideas? Achilleion 2 1,898 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Achilleion
  The corinthian helmet on horseback? Steakslim 5 2,011 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite