Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhibition alert ! (Germany, 2012)
Hi y'all
.... some months after I visited Osterburken after a long pause, I've found it was time for an encore.
And rightfully so, as the local Römer Museum:
http://www.roemermuseum-osterburken.de/
now houses a small, but thoughtfully installed and designed exhibition.
Boss Dr. Jörg Scheuerbrandt, one of Germany's top men when it comes to roman provincial history/archeology, has teamed up once again with his frequent partner-in-crime (Yeah, I like that expression ! 8) ) Dr.Martin Kemkes (Google them and you may get "smitten" with references ! :mrgreen: ) and this time also with Dr. Eszter Harsanyi from the bureau of the Archäologisches Landesmuseum at Rastatt. By support of Dr. Jörg Heiligmann from the Archäologischen Landesmuseums at Konstanz who brought the contacts to Dr. Peter Weiss from the Savaria-Muzeum at Szombathely(Hungary) succeed in telling the story of roman provincial P.Ferrasius Avitus, who was born at Savaria around 150AD during the "golden age" reign of imperator Antoninus Pius. After the begin of the Marcomannian Wars he opted
for joining the legions, in his case the LEG I adiutrix, stationed at Brigetio (Komarom/Hungary).
During the subsequent wars he rose to the rank of an aquilifer, before he was promoted as a centurion and transferred to LEG VIII augusta at Argentorate (Strassbourg/France).
He served in the “bellum desertorum”/maternus uprising between 185AD and 186AD, after that getting his own detached commando on the Mainlimes at Obernburg where he dedicated a consecrated altar to Jupiter Dolichenus in 191AD.
Since the LegVIII also was responsible for building the annexe-camp at Osterburken there is some probability that he or one of his “distinguished colleagues” could have been present in or around Osterburken.
The exhibition now shows us a couple of instructive and characteristic parts which highlight every possible aspect of P.Ferrasius Avitus’ life as a roman citizen and it does so quite convincingly.
For a exhibition of it’s size it displays a full view on the topic, reinforced by a bit of “modern information society” here and there in form of two small flat-screens with changing pictures.
The catalogue that goes with this exhibition is kept bilingual (German/Hungarian) so you get a language lesson for free, too . :wink:
Seriously, folks, it is in fact a short but concise help for visiting and “digesting” this exhibition,-- well written and understandable for the average public , but also “spiked” with some informations that may be of interest to the reader already “in-the-know”.
Adding to this impression is that although the print is quite fine and most of the pics and tables are small this does in no way impede relaxed reading. I still have to find typos/mistakes, yet.
Quite remarkable for a product by the Theiss-Verlag, I must add here.
If you haven’t been to Osterburken, yet I suggest you go there NOW or at least until 14th of Oct. 2012, -- after that you’ll have to go to Szombathely/Hungary , I presume.
(Konstanz ??? :roll: )
Needless to say I postponed reading Fischer’s “Die Armee der Caesaren” for that . :wink:

Greez & Goodnight

Simplex

Ah, BTW :
Dr. Scheuerbrandt is one of the rare cases making his doctorate papers available online:
http://www.freidok.uni-freiburg.de/vollt...rcitus.pdf
Warning : It's in German, and a litte bit of Greek is needed also !
Enjoy

Simplex
Siggi K.
Uploaded pics of my last years visit at the Osterburken Römermuseum to my personal picture album. (Only for registered members of this forum.)
These are from basement/1st floor exclusively as the situation in the right part of the 2nd floor seemed too dark and the photos of the first part of 2nd floor, the special exhibition about roman tiles, somehow have vanished.
I also started uploading pics from wednesdays visit (18th of April 2012) till my maximum allowed storage for today was reached.
I'll finish that as soon as I got time (not nearly as much pics as last year) -- only 3 or 4 left, anyway.
Greez

Simplex

P.S. I should stress the fact that photographing is ALLOWED at the Römermuseum Osterburken. 8)
This attitude deserves amassed visiting of THIS place ! :!:

Edit: All photos now uploaded (9 in all ).
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhibition alert: Speyer (D) again ! Simplex 2 2,162 09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Exhibition alert: Gladiators at Frankfurt/Main(D) Simplex 2 1,515 01-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Dave G