Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladies & Civilian kit resource
Thanks Demetrius. It still makes her look "large" but I think with a bit more folding and belting it will look more flattering. She's slim so it's nice to see a figure under all the folds.

I finished making a pair of carbatina for her today so her kit is just about done. Great tutorial here (even though he calls them "viking shoes":

http://earthandliving.blogspot.ca/2008/0...rt-of.html

Pretty easy. Took me about 2 hours. I will unlace them and round the corners of the toe cover strips. They need a few more coats of oil too. The next pair will be a bit better fitting as I made the heel a bit short but she says they are comfortable.

[attachment=3698]shoes6.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Looks great Jay. If you want (when I see you next...maybe in May) and you want to put a sole on, I have some 15 oz leather that you can do that with. The carbatinae should last years and years then. I also have the awls for tunnel stitching.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Thanks Demetrius. It still makes her look "large" but I think with a bit more folding and belting it will look more flattering.

If it's any consolation to her, we all look fat in our baggy tunica.

Quote:Looks great Jay. If you want (when I see you next...maybe in May) and you want to put a sole on, I have some 15 oz leather that you can do that with. The carbatinae should last years and years then. I also have the awls for tunnel stitching.

Though from what I am reading it appears they are one piece of leather and that is it.

Yeah, one piece only. I did use a lighter weight leather since this is for a woman and I didn't want it to look so bulky like caligae. They're more feminine this way :grin:

Antony
I don't know where I'm finding all of this time but my real work must be suffering! Here is a pair of Udones I finished up today. The pattern on LEG XX site is very small so I just took the basic shapes and made it work. I took a drawing of my sole on the felt and then built the tube and cover from there. Originally I hand stitched them but I wasn't sure how strong that would be so I ended up using a serger machine.

We need more! Please put your photos, projects here to build a good database.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Antony
Well, I would formemost suggest you to get/make her a pair of period correct shoes. Roman shoes seems to have had more decorations. Several models are know which were most probably for female use, like shoes from Cuijk (Netherlands), Welzheim (Germany) and London, for instance. These could be made out of single layer of leather, or get a sole as some of the finds did indeed have.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you Jurjen!

The Welzheim shoes are dated second century and we are going for an early to mid 1st century impression. This is the problem I think we are facing, there just doesn't seem to be any consistency about what is acceptable or appropriate. The Carbatinae seem to cover a wide time frame and cover a large area from Celtic, Roman and Germanic. What is the date of the Cuijk shoes? Do we have pictures or reconstructions?

Antony
http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?g...=IL020&go1

Presently, there is 3.5oz linen on sale at that above link.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Excellent! In reading some of the comments it appears this 3.5oz linen is what is preferred by re-enactors and hangs quite nicely. I read one comment that the linen should be washed several times to get rid of the "stiffness". This is good to know. Of course all linen should be washed before sewing because there will be some shrinkage but I didn't know that washing it several times will make it more soft.

Antony
A wash in hotter water, and drying in a dryer (not air drying) will help make the fabric softer, too. Once in the hot water, it may shrink some, and many colors will fade. Be careful what you wash in the same load. It's pretty hard to get a light color to go back like it was if something fades on it.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If I were to make a leather belt for her waist what kind of buckle to use? Simple brass D ring or something more fancy?

Antony
Jay, might I suggest you make the belt of a cotton or soft hemp rope instead of leather, then simply knot it - this seems to be a more common method of cinching. Confusedmile:
Bill