Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern tour through ancient Rome (AD 320)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHinQD3GAIo

Rome Reborn is an international initiative to use 3D digital technology to illustrate the urban development of the ancient city from the first settlements in the late Bronze Age (ca. 1000 BCE) to the depopulation of the city in the early Middle Ages (ca. 552 CE). Thus far, the Rome Reborn team has concentrated on modeling the city as it might have appeared in 320 CE when it reached the peak of its development with a population estimated to be ca. 1 million people occupying ca. 25 sq. km. of space inside the late-antique walls and using ca. 7,000 buildings.

An interactive earlier version of this model, called Rome Reborn 1.0 (9 million polygons) has been available at no cost since 2008 in the Gallery of Google Earth, where it is called "Ancient Rome 3D." This present version (October 2010) is called Rome Reborn 2.1. It has over 650 million polygons and still a work in progress. Before being released to the public as an interactive product capable of being explored in real time over the Internet, we need to review and correct the model archaeologically; and find a suitable technology platform for making such a massive model available to Internet users. Work is underway to address both issues.

Meanwhile, we offer this video exploration of the model, which we hope will already be found useful by students and teachers of ancient Roman topography and by the general public.

This video is copyright 2010 by Bernard Frischer. All rights reserved. The 3D models comprising Rome Reborn 2.1 are copyright: 2007 by The Regents of the University of California; 2007 by the CNRS, Bordeaux; 2009 by the Universite' de Caen; and 2010 by Frischer Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. For additional credits, please see the end of the video.

For more about this project, see: www.romereborn.virginia.edu.

For further information about this video, please write or call the project director, Prof. Bernard Frischer at:

cell: +1.310.266.0183
email: [email protected]
personal webpage: www.frischerconsulting.com/frischer
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIEwjgfb...re=channel

This video presents a fly-through of the latest version of Rome Reborn (2.2). The new version incorporates some new content (including the Pantheon) and for the first time includes animations.

Rome Reborn is an international initiative to create a 3D digital model of the ancient city as it might have appeared in A.D. 320. For more about the project, please see: www.romereborn.virginia.edu.

For more information, contact the project director, Prof. Bernard Frischer at: [email protected]; cell +1-310-266-0183.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It's very impressive but I can't help thinking that it is all too clean!

I particularly like the aqua Claudia - it certainly dominated the sky line.

Do you think they could do a "scratch and sniff" equivalent? :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Incredible! A really useful tool for education. I'll love to (virtually) walk those streets. Is the idea to make an "ancient Rome google streetview" thing? I would really support this project.
Eduardo Vázquez
Robert,
How do you find Ancient Rome 3D on Google Earth? I can't seem to locate it.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Robert,
How do you find Ancient Rome 3D on Google Earth? I can't seem to locate it.
It might be that the text (2010) is outdated.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
There is a similar animation of Caerhun Fort, a 1st century auxilary fort in Wales.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53S-Dy2at...r_embedded#!
I dont know if its done by the same people but boy it brings it all back to life.
Kevin
Kevin
I've seen this, I'll get a link to what constantinople would have looked like in 1200, also i think done by guys like in Rome reborn.

I have the google earth feature it's pretty bawss.
Maybee we could have a seperate Topic for these animations....i dont know how difficult that would be though...just a thought and suggestion....it would make a great Database for this type of material. Its easy for us to say at one end as we dont have to sort it all at the other end...Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:This video presents a fly-through of the latest version of Rome Reborn (2.2). The new version incorporates some new content (including the Pantheon) and for the first time includes animations.

Rome Reborn is an international initiative to create a 3D digital model of the ancient city as it might have appeared in A.D. 320. For more about the project, please see: www.romereborn.virginia.edu.

For more information, contact the project director, Prof. Bernard Frischer at: [email protected]; cell +1-310-266-0183.

"Arch of Septimus Severus"... :roll:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
A web with a lot of nice 3D recreations of buildings from Itálica, Conímbriga, Pompei...

http://italicaromana.blogspot.com.es/
Eduardo Vázquez