Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the Footsteps of Alexander th Great
I got this in a letter from Peter Connolly, and he said I could share it with you.<br>
<br>
"IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT"<br>
A seventeen day coach tour following the route of Alexander through Turkey; September 1st - 17th Quality Hotels 4* or 5*<br>
<br>
Every important site will be visited including Miletus, Halicarnassus as well as the battlefieldsa of Granicus and Issus. A Turkish archaeologist and an expert on ancient warfare (Peter Connolly FSA) will travel with you to explain the sites.<br>
<br>
Peter Connolly will give five evening talks.<br>
<br>
for details, bookings and prices contact Peten Tours (Istanbul)<br>
<br>
www.petentour.com <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Just out of curiosity what city is located on the site of Guagamela, the destroyed capital of the Ancient Persian Empire <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Gaugamela was very close to the ancient capital of Nineveh which is very close to the modern Iraqi city of Mosul. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks again. Are you active at the RAT site as well. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

certainly am, my interest is mainly BC so i read alot of the posts but due to the fact that most of the disscussions on RAT are imperial age I dont answer too many. I am interested in the BC area because lower Italy was mainly of greek origin as was the Etruscans??<br>
<br>
But must admit im an ancient history nut!!!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jason. <p></p><i></i>
Southern Italy certainly had a lot of Greek influence, but there were plenty of native peoples there as well, the Samnites being one of the more well-known groups. They weren't of Greek origin, nor were the Etruscans. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
The etruscans are an interesting one Herodotus speaks of them coming from lydia in turkey. Their culture, art and many of the features they have left are heavily greek influenced.<br>
<br>
True the Samnites are certainly an indiginoues peoples as were the latin peoples<br>
<br>
The interesting thing about this time is that a large portion of the setelments of the time were all eminating from similar cultures and possibly the same base culture Phonecian mabye ??????<br>
<br>
Interesting stuff hey.<br>
<br>
please forgive spelling as I cant or type either.<br>
<br>
jason <p></p><i></i>
have you read any of my posts, they deal mainly with the republican era, especially gaius julius caesar and myself Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. I am more into the BC era as well, however I am extremly fascinated with the early imperial days, I'd say up to the last days of the house of the Caesars(I mean the family name, not the title of Caesar which meant emperor). Also the Byzantine Empire is of extreme interest to me, especially the great schism, which also spreads into early russian history. <p></p><i></i>

Well, Herodotos' story is possible, but no one really knows for sure. At this point, there's just not enough evidence to say one way or the other, and who knows when or if that'll change. Interesting to speculate but perhaps ultimately fruitless...<br>
<br>
I don't think anyone would seriously argue that all or most or many Mediterranean cultures spring from the Phoenicians... pretty much the Phoenicians and the Carthaginians, that's it. But nothing else in terms of genetic/linguistic inheritance. They may have had a profound influence on other cultures, but not to that degree. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
While were disscussing it who knows anything about the villanovians?<br>
<br>
And regards to your comment above, the Etruscan language was not from the indo-european group, so yes their origins are still a topic of debate, as it was in antiquity.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
"Villanovan" is the term that archaeologists use to refer to the people who inhabited central Italy before the use of writing... the same people as the Etruscans, but since they didn't have writing, it's a handy way to differentiate. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Very close to the modern Iraqi city of Mosul.<hr><br>
Will flak jackets be issued?! <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
:roll:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Vincula, THAT tour will not go to Gaugamela. To get there you'll need another tour operator.
It's called "US Army recruiting office"... :lol:
Seriously, if Peter Connolly is there, it ought to be very good..
Pascal Sabas
So we can expect a new Peter Connolly book about Alexander's campaigns? Big Grin
Greets - Uwe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,512 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 4,947 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,904 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes