Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum hanger/Harness
Got my belt ready, when unhooked they just hang as much as the underside of the scutum, so in battle you won't have any trouble with them. After the batlle just sling over the shoulder hook up and ready.(foto's will follow soon)Have to get in kit for that ;-)
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:Got my belt ready ... foto's will follow soon)Have to get in kit for that ;-)

Yes please! Or just photos of the shield and sling... Smile
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I see we are back to a hook and belt thing with re-enactors....it obviously works or they would not use it.....compared to the "evidence" of a "multi point i still say complicated set up"
Try it and see
Kevin
Kevin
I have had no problems with a simple, non-adjustable strap with hooks on the ends. And you can carry it over the shoulder while holding it in your hand, as you would when marching. I don't know if I'd like it for combat, but then, I never tried to do that.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
In a pinch, if you couldn't get the strap off, it still works, you just can't punch out with it, since the range of motion is limited.

Legion: TBD
We at Legio XXX in Rome have experimented with a scutum hanger for legionary shields and after various trials we have come up with a design which is practical. We have tried to hang the shield on our back, as seen in various pictures, but we found this not to be very handy. We now use a hanger that allows us to have our shields by our sides and ready for action. We will use it next week during the Birthday of Rome were we will march +/- 10 /11 km in armor. I can assure you that it is very pleasant to have it around.
Robert Schmits aka Hadrianus Batavius
Quote:We now use a hanger that allows us to have our shields by our sides and ready for action.
Pictures?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Could you describe it? Or upload a photo?
Quote:We at Legio XXX in Rome have experimented with a scutum hanger for legionary shields and after various trials we have come up with a design which is practical. We have tried to hang the shield on our back, as seen in various pictures, but we found this not to be very handy. We now use a hanger that allows us to have our shields by our sides and ready for action. We will use it next week during the Birthday of Rome were we will march +/- 10 /11 km in armor. I can assure you that it is very pleasant to have it around.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Would be great to have more info on this chaps
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,808 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  My take on the Junkelmann Scutum harness Neuraleanus 25 5,764 10-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Last Post: derek forrest