Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News about Ancient Technology
Moi.

I think you are correct on that for I was a member of his Northern Archeology Group at the time. This may have been shortly after his book "The Piercebridge Formula" and of course he did bring out his other book "On the Trail of The Legions"
There was another book but then I don't think that was completed before he died, whenever I spoke with him after his stroke he kept saying he would like to get back to Air Photography and field walking but sadly never did.
I was happy prior to that period he one day took me along his 255 line the frontier that pre-dates Hadrian's Wall, and when we take a good look and study it we can see just why Hadrian copied what Trajan had done but then swung his line to north of the river Irthing, this was to give the logistic supply for the western end that I have mentioned.
Brian Stobbs
Slightly O.T. , folks, but there is an exhibtion at Bonn about the HighTech Romans in the
LVR-Landesmuseum.
"Ausstellung im LVR-LandesMuseum Bonn /„HIGH TECH RÖMER. Schauen. Machen. Staunen" lädt zum Mitmachen ein / Die technischen Errungenschaften der alten Römer hautnah erleben / 29. März bis 2. September 2012"
=
Exhibition at the LVR-Meusum, Bonn.
"High Tech Romans. Look.Do.Admire./ Experience their technical achievement first-hand. /
From March 29th till September 2012"
The Weblinks (German) :
http://www.rlmb.lvr.de/ausstellungen/son...efault.htm
http://www.rlmb.lvr.de/app/Presse_RLMB/i...p?NNr=8382
Kontakt:
LVR-LandesMuseum Bonn
Colmantstr. 14-16
53115 Bonn
Tel.: +49 (0) 228 / 2070 - 0
Fax: +49 (0) 228 / 2070 - 299
E-Mail: [email protected]

Do I have to mention , that there are pics ?" :mrgreen:

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Thanks Simplex- not at all off topic! Here s a (not very good) translation by Google.

Between SMS and underfloor heating
03/28/2012

Exhibition at the LVR-Landesmuseum in Bonn / "HIGH TECH ROMANS. Look. Do. Amazement "invites to join in on / The technical achievements of the ancient Romans first hand experience / 29 March to 2 September 2012

Bonn. 03/28/2012. Whether floor heating, lift cranes, spa baths and catapults - yet today we encounter in daily life many techniques, equipment and everyday phenomena that go back to a superior development from Roman times. How did the Romans accomplish about 2,000 years ago without a computer, motors and electrical engineering feats such showing the exhibition "High Tech Romans. Look! Do! Marvel ". From March 29 to September 2, 2012, the family invites hands-on exhibition at the LVR-Landesmuseum in Bonn you in to see the ingenious technical inventions of the ancient world, not only but also for yourself.

Many ideas and inventions the Romans took over from previous crops and so on they developed successful that they were not surpassed for centuries.
From the technical superiority of the Romans still testify to duty cranes and bridges, aqueducts and underfloor heating systems, roads and swimming pools. Even with the use of draft animals in agriculture and the development of preservation methods of foods put the Roman standards.
The exhibition of precious original and exciting films in nine different topics stations with an overview of the wealth of these inventions and information about the specific techniques and functions . . The subjects range from architecture and machinery of measuring and calculating to travel and communication
, the visitors are invited to get active: at more than 30 interactive stations they can about planning a Roman city, allow water to flow uphill build, a bridge or a Roman texting. . The exhibition will thereby give Roman art to a whole new way and make their importance for the present conscious
addition to this, you immerse the visitors in the permanent collection of the LVR-Landesmuseum in Bonn at the time of the ancient world: you get an insight into how people who lived 2,000 years ago in the Rhineland, to build himself a large model of the Roman Bonn or excavate a Roman kitchen.

The exhibition "High Tech Romans" was developed in cooperation with the Museum Het Valkhof Nijmegen, the Museon The Hague and the Technopolis Mechelen. Children and young people under 18 have free admission to the museum. The topics "Water / Aqua" and luxury / Luxuria " supported by SWB energy and water.

Please contact:

Dr. Brigitte Beyer Rotthoff
LVR-Landesmuseum in Bonn
Press and Public Relations
Phone 0228 / 2070-244
0152 01,629,463 mobile
e-mail: brigitte.beyer-Rotthoff @ lvr.de
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thank you very much Paul -- I couldn't have said it better . :mrgreen:
This one's climbing up my "to-do-list" for July.

Greez

Siggi
Siggi K.
Yes, this could be another one to keep me out of the UK during the Olympics... :roll:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Recent archaeological excavations have pushed back the date of the general introduction of the watermill from the late Antiquity / early medieval period to the first century AD. At that time watermills can already be found even in fairly remote regions of the empire such as Switzerland.

There is a good overview of watermilling in Spanish: Los molinos hidráulicos en la Antigüedad (2006/2007).
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iraq: When bad news is actually good news Jona Lendering 0 955 05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering