Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exposition \"Das Goldene Byzanz\"
What looks like a true high-quality exposition on Byzantium has begun on the Schallaburg west of Vienna: http://www.schallaburg.at/de/ausstellung...usstellung

Apart from Byzantine artifacts, they show several technological reconstructions, for example of the water-powered stone mill saw excavated in 7th century Ephesus (in the Hanghaus). Let us also hope for the dromon shown in the slide show. Big Grin
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Sometimes this summer end of july or beginning of August I will be in the area and I hope to have the time to visit it if I do I will post some pics
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Quote:...if I do I will post some pics

First downer: they don't allow any photos. Something I don't understand, why don't they sell picture tickets.
Hmm...I need to go somewhere to avoid the Olympics in the UK this summer.

This may just be the place! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sounds like a very worthwhile place to visit..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Sounds like a very worthwhile place to visit..

The surroundings, the region of Wachau, is actually a top-notch place to visit. Beautiful landscape with a lot of small picturesque villages situated along the Danube, offering fine local white wine. Melk Abbey is as towering from the outside as splendid inside and the view from Göttweig Abbey is simply stunning. And for British vistors, close-by are the ruins of Dürnstein Castle where Richard Lionheart was held prisoner by the Austrian duke, enlarging his legend by passing his time playing dice with his guardians.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,805 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite