Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much meat was in a Legionary\'s diet?
I have no doubt that they DID eat meat...I was more wondering about the frequency. Us modern folk (In N. America) eat waaaay too much, almost with every meal. I am curious to see if there is any evidence as to what frequency the Romans had meat. I understand there were different circumstances that would have allowed them to acquire it, but was it always a greatly desired menu item all the time? Or more of an opportunity as it arose?

Legion: TBD
Quote: Us modern folk (In N. America) eat waaaay too much, almost with every meal.

More than 0,45kg (= 1lbs) per day? :roll:
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
Quote:More than 0,45kg (= 1lbs) per day? :roll:
Heck thats just four big macs! My brother can manage that!!!
** Vincula/Lucy **
The proper references are not in front of me so I will paraphrase. Both A. Goldsworthy and Stephen Dando-Collin refer to meat being an important (albeit smaller portions)part of a 'miles' diet. Given the number of calories consumed on the march, building a marching for and daily training, it is unlikely they lived on bread and veggies. Romans themselves were HUGE meat eaters so why would we assume soldiers were any different?
J. Caesars Legions (mostly Spanish during the conflict in Gaul) consumed a wide variety of rations on top of the iron 'Corn' (wheat or oats) ration. Legumes were very popular mixed into a porridge which included meat. Barley was NOT popular and considered unfit for men and issued only for the animals accompanying the legion (except when J. C. was very short on wheat or oats).
Two chickens would be sufficient for an eight man contubernium with 'more for us' if the mess octet were short handed. Rations were deducted from pay so foraging was very inportant 'potluck' affair. Cattle, goats and sheep can be herded but pigs not so much, hence salted pork being available when foragers come back empty handed. Salting the pork was a preferred method of storage and transport.
Quote:Stephen Dando-Collin ...
Is this the "Off Topic" section? :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
There is also the book 'Panis Militaris from Marcus Junkelmann.
I don't know if it is available in English.

I use some of the Recipe's in it to take with me at various do's

Cheers

Steve or Schtiffie as the locals are fond of saying
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionary diet Anonymous 10 2,897 09-08-2002, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Anonymous