Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 generals among Alexander\'s successors
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>It was a rather difficult to choose between so many. I am not sure yet that I have made the right choice. Any suggestions?<br>
<br>
I don’t mean best politicians, statesmen or experts in geopolitics. Just their qualities as military commanders, tactical and strategical.<br>
<br>
Excellent generals! Do you agree? They are like gods of war.<br>
<br>
What is your top 5 generals among Alexander's successors?<br>
</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p208.ezboard.com/fgreekarmytalkfrm8.processVote?topicID=12.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Seleucus I (Nikator) 321 – 281(0) B.C.</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Ptolemy I Soter 323 – 283 B.C.</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Antiochus III the Great (Megas) 223 – 187 B.C.</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Demetrius "Poliorcetes," or "Besieger of Cities," 306 - 286</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Antigonus Gonatas 278 – 239 B.C.</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p208.ezboard.com/fgreekarmytalkfrm8.showMessage?topicID=12.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Top 5 generals among Alexander's successors<hr><br>
I guess one thing would be to define the period. Some peole call it over with the battle of Ipsus in 301; others say at the victory of Seleucus I over Lysimachus at the battle of Corupedion in 281; still others count the later wars between the Seleucids and Ptolemies. Either of the first two work for me. Of those listed I'd go with Demetrius, but I think Antigonus Monopthalmus (father of Demetrius Poliorcetes) should be included as he is the one who probably came closest to reuniting the empire. <p></p><i></i>
Well, I meant all generals, which succeeded Alexander till Roman conquest.<br>
<br>
If you want to include Antigonus Monopthalmus on the ground of his coming close to reuniting the empire we sould think about Perdiccas, who was much closer.<br>
I thought about these old guys, but they ended up badly. And I couldn’t find any outstanding personal achievements of them as generals.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Perdiccas was the leader of the united empire; he failed to hold it together.<br>
<br>
And Antigonos Monopthalmos certainly deserves to be on any list of the best Successor generals. <p></p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Antigonos Monopthalmos?<br>
<br>
Why?<br>
What did he do as a general?<br>
<br>
BTW, he was the leader. But very, very nominally. And the empire was not too united. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Antigonus - What did he do as a general?<hr><br>
What did he <em>not</em> do?<br>
How about a close draw at Paraetacene vs. Eumenes, then the crushing blow at Gabiene?<br>
Sure, he failed to pin Seleucus down, but Ptolemy refused to meet him in battle, wich says a lot.<br>
And he only lost at Ipsus because of Demetrius's blunder.<br>
Truely a general in the mold of Alexander. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Successors and Ancient India StrategyM 2 1,425 09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Last Post: StrategyM