Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather-wicker shields
Hello,

I'm going to do an article on shields for XMFM in a few weeks, and I need basic information on construction from those who've made your own (not least because I'll have to make one too at some point).

Is leather or rawhide better? What weight?
Should it be soaked in hot or cold water?
How are the rim and grips attached?

I'm thinking that the best wicker material available in my area is just willow, but the most historically-accurate material for a Persian spearman would be either common or giant reed. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any advice.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Made one and used a couple more over the years. I prefer to use a wooden handle, as I've seen the willow handles I first used being unable to withstand heavy use. I would know start with a wooden handle and make the whole thing around it.

Not overed them in leather or rawhide though. I would think I would make a leather cover for it if I had to cover it, as rawhide will shrink when drying, and I'm not sure if the shield will be strong enough to handle this. Rawhide can be soaked in could water en just let it there for 24 hours.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Well, to clarify -- the type of shield I'm talking about isn't exactly wicker, although it's called that by convention, and the leather isn't a cover over the shield. I'm referring to the type which are just sticks woven through a leather sheet, like the spara or pelta.
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Four of these shields were found at Dura Europos. James' "Final Report" describes them (#635-638) in enough detail to make reconstructions. See pp.186-187.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I'll see if I can find it in a library. This may sound crass, but I can't drop sixty or so dollars for such a small part of the text. Especially since it's rather far out of the period, even if it seems probable that the shields' construction is very similar. I've never heard of a find of an Achaemenid shield other than the boss from Samos.

Ed.: Think I can get James' report from Temple U., but as I'm not heading to Philly until the middle of May, it'll mean delaying the article a bit. In the meantime, does anyone who's attempted a reconstruction have any thoughts?
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Hi Dan,

The Hopolite Association (HA)spara at Marathon was soft leather (3mm) with birch or willow - more twigs than basket weaving grade. For the peltas I think wood dowling was used - certainly heavier duty than the spara. I suggest you contact the HA directly as others are now working on spara shields almost as we speak!

Alan Rowell
Quote:I'll see if I can find it in a library. This may sound crass, but I can't drop sixty or so dollars for such a small part of the text. Especially since it's rather far out of the period, even if it seems probable that the shields' construction is very similar. I've never heard of a find of an Achaemenid shield other than the boss from Samos.

Ed.: Think I can get James' report from Temple U., but as I'm not heading to Philly until the middle of May, it'll mean delaying the article a bit. In the meantime, does anyone who's attempted a reconstruction have any thoughts?

The report by Simon James is available as a PDF for free at Ethos.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Hi Dan,

The Hopolite Association (HA)spara at Marathon was soft leather (3mm) with birch or willow - more twigs than basket weaving grade. For the peltas I think wood dowling was used - certainly heavier duty than the spara. I suggest you contact the HA directly as others are now working on spara shields almost as we speak!

Alan Rowell
Hi,

I've e-mailed HA about a week ago actually. 3mm sounds like a nice easy-to-work-with leather -- it's roughly the same as the 8-ounce stuff I made much of my gear from. Does it seem sufficiently protective with the sticks added? I didn't examine the spara closely but I remember someone commenting that it was heavier than one would think.

Quote:The report by Simon James is available as a PDF for free at Ethos.
Okay, I'm seeing about registering there today.

Thanks all!
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Quote:The report by Simon James is available as a PDF for free at Ethos.
Got it, thanks! Very informative.
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Effectiveness of wicker shields? Darth_Roach 12 10,476 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Darth_Roach
  Stick-and-leather shields Sean Manning 2 2,038 06-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning