Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek(ish) greave
Hello all

I wondered whether or not you might be able to help. The greave below is almost roughed out and is based on three different greek greaves for a customer who plans to wear them as a Roman gladiator, so the history for it is a little stretched to say the least. However, I am starting to plan for some greek kit to add to my portfolio and wondered whether anyone can help by eaiethr recommending some books or websites that specifically include or talk about the armour worn by the soldiers of the various Greek periods, importantly I am looking for the thigh, forearm and upper arm defences as I have seen some very small images of what appear to be beautifully made defences for these areas that don't appear regularly among reenactors or the sources I am reading?

Can you help at all?

As ever I welcome criticism, thoughts or comments about the kit below, but I simply didn't want to turn up empty handed and ask you to give me information Smile

[Image: normal_IMG_5468.JPG]

Kindest regards

Graham
Graham,

Here are some less-frequented Greek kit items:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/vi...cOZ4dXoLNP

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/vi...cOZ4dXoLNP

Hope these help.
Bill
Hello Gashford,
unfortunately I’m traveling and I don't have my documentation. I've just found few images of greaves and an image found on the web with a reconstruction of an armament (very rich) of the 6th century. For a good idea of the the armour that you are looking for during the different centuries I would look at the book of P. Connolly "Greece and Rome at war" (pp.51-83).
I know that my contribution It is not satisfying, but I hope can be useful to start.
Very Best
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Here's some images from the Connolly book:

Best!
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  greek demi greave and athene richard robinson 3 1,821 12-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite