Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Greaves Padding Thingy
I need info on ankle padding options for greaves. The sheepskin didn't hold up my greaves. I need to solve "slippage" or give up my greaves. The nerve/tendon damage is not worth it. Giannis! What do you know about Patrokles' apparent strapping/suspension system?

Thanks for any info and options offered...
Cheryl Boeckmann
I don't think that Homer says anything specific.

κνημῖδας μὲν πρῶτα περὶ κνήμῃσιν ἔθηκε
καλὰς ἀργυρέοισιν ἐπισφυρίοις ἀραρυίας

I would translate it as:

"First he placed greaves about his shins
beautiful fastenings of silver on the ankles"
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thanks! At least I know I can go "bling"!
Cheryl Boeckmann
The lines Dan quoted are a typical formula unchanged in three or four arming scenes, note however the oblique placement of "ἀργυρέοισιν" and how the sentence runs on with that and indeed the typically analogous construction. So:

First he placed along his legs the fair greaves linked with
silver fastenings to hold the greaves at the ankle
Jass
Thanks for the correction. Although in this context I prefer translating περὶ as "about" rather than "along" since it gives the impression that the greave covers more than the front. I also prefer to use "shin" rather than "leg" since the word in question apparently only refers to that part of the leg between the knee and ankle.

Agreed that the lines are a stylised formula. There is no way to tell whether silver fastenings were fairly common (which would appear to be the case since they are mentioned several times) or whether they were included for poetic reasons.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Athena
You are free to interpret the instep padding any way you see fit. It is depicted on more than one vase painting. Having attachment points at the base of your greaves would help the slipping around as would having your greaves fit more tightly to your ankle. However if you took the bootee option (toeless or covered) over the sandle option and then added a roll of felt or wool or sheepskin your comfort should increase. I have a friend that made himself two ankle bindings that are reminiscent of tennis sweat bands -they looked "different"- but would serve as extra support against ankle chafing. They would allow instep padding to be wedged in went required also.
Good luck
Richard
I'm not sure about what you mean Areias, but could you probably mean something like this... I constructed something similar to hold up my thraex (gladiator) greaves because they were crushing my ankles and this works pretty fine for me...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Polemarch of the Spartiates: Aegiadae

Hardwig
http://spartiates.agogeads.be
That's what I'm talking about!! Thank you so much. I have leather scrap I can work with, so this could be an easy fix. Yippee!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Hi Athena

We in the Sydney Ancients find a bandage wrapped around each ankle works a treat. This has a long history in Australia, as the first re-enactment group (of the modern era) in Australia, the Ancient and Medieval Martial Arts Society, was doing Greek and Roman re-enactment in the early 70's (I joined in 79).
While a linen wrap would be more authentic, a crepe bandage certainly helps with preventing the greave slipping.

Peter MacKinnon
I made a set of leather ties with a rawhide clip that are formed to the base of my greaves. They keep them off on my feet and hold the greaves in place on there own. They also kinda look like the vase painting.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Hi.
Cheryl, you have obviously seen the Achilles paddings, but there are more such depictions like this one:

[attachment=3584]Zeuxo_Chrysippos_BM_E65.jpg[/attachment]

And this is my interpretation. It is designed not only to pad the greave, but also to curry its weight without slipping down. I made them before receiving my greaves and i donated them to Christian Cameron at Marathon. You should ask him how well they work.

[attachment=3585]321465_2250346214635_1127612712_32624757_5147156_n.jpg[/attachment]

Khaire
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks, all!

I have some ideas, now. I have enough scrap leather and wool laying around that I can keep trying things until I hit on the right design for me.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Thanks from me as well. I am recieving a new set of greaves soon, so this is timely information indeed.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Who's making them Byron?
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Rado!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a General Greek greaves deepeeka 39 19,582 04-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Last Post: rx7fc
  Greek Greaves? Doc 4 2,347 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Doc