Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek undergarments
I have seen many pictures of vases with Greek Hoplites painted on them and all seem to show them wearing no undergarments (weenie and all). So my question to you is what do Greek Reenactors wear? Is there an appropriate loin cloth or some such undergarment that was used?

thanks,

Joe
This could easily escalate into something truly weird, so let me be the first to jump in here! :twisted: I would say, since our modern society is not as "free-thinking" toward the naked body as the Greeks' was, that any kind of modesty drape (whether it be a speedo, jockey strap or a form of "diaper" :roll: ) would suffice. I would say, anything that covers your "junk" without being conspicuous is acceptable (IOW: NO boxer shorts!). That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :oops:
Bill
I'm not a re-enactor, but frankly I wouldn't wear anything. I recall the amusing story in Herodotos when a young would be suitor elected to frolick on a table and his khiton fell down to reveal his junk. Basically how I would do it too.
Jass
I'm on the same page with Katsika. It's not a matter of modesty, though that is involved, it's that here in the US, showing genitals in public can get you arrested and labeled as a "sex offender" for life. Authenticity is one thing, but that stigma is hard to overcome, and will keep a person from being employable in many jobs, however innocently it may have occurred.

And yes, judges are enforcing that, especially if there are any children present. Ancient Greeks probably wore no underwear at all, but we would be wise not to follow that pattern.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
They had the zoma which has been interpreted as a loin cloth.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Anyone know how to make and put on a Greek loincloth?
Personally I don't wear anything and spent an entire week at Great Western last year that way. I don't wear a thing with my kilts either. If you get into the mindset of a women wearing a really short skirt and act accordingly, nothing is seen.

On the loin cloth front, picture a bath towel rolled up length ways. Starting just in from one end, wrap it around your waist a couple of times and then stop when the bulk of the length is hanging down your backside. Pass the material under the waist wrap from bottom to top and then take the material and pass it between your legs and up and under the waist wrap in your front. Now play tuck and tighten to keep it all in place and you should be good. When you go to the little hoplite's room you just untuck the front flap and everything should be open for use.

I once saw a diagram on wearing a loin cloth on the internet, it had to do with an egyptian one but it should be good as I can't think of too many ways you could do it.
Ira Gossett
I suspect the duty of care to the general public calls for something to be worn. A simple breechclout can be pulled through a material belt both front and back. The bit of material could be shaped as a rectangle or isosceles triangle.

[attachment=3560]clout1.jpg[/attachment]

I am sure the gladiator thread will show so potentially useful ideas as well. Last weekend I used a gladiator subligarium as a loincloth in which to ride. It’s OK.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Due to the PC double standards prevelent these days, iwould just wear boxers, as no one is really going to be covered for the embarassing moments when th crown jewels slipout of older'nappies'.

No one is really interested in seeing some ones junk... Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would tend to agree, except we "Greeks" tend to wear our chitoniskos a bit shorter than a Roman tunic. I personally don't want to inherit a nickname like "Bubbacles" because my boxers were longer than the hem. :lol:
Bill
Well not sure where you get your boxers from lol
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So Katsika what do use?
Quote:They had the zoma which has been interpreted as a loin cloth.

Any imagery? This would be better than modern underwear, and certainly better than
something from a different culture! I would prefer not to cause the young ladies to feint by exposing the beast! Wink
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have a loin cover, made similar to a diaper. The material is pleated as shown, then I sew on a waist band at each end. To wear, hang it behind you and tie the first band around your waist to the front. Then pull the draping end up between your legs and tie the second band around your waist to the back. The fit will accommodate most builds, and the pleating keeps it neat and close. It has a (sort of) "gladiator" fit.

*Notice the pleats run in opposite directions from the center (keeps the junk directed toward the middle!). :roll:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Ha ha ! Interesting. Not sure I would trust it myself...
But it looks like a plan... 8-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel