Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Painful Discovery
Its a nice cup as cups go, somewhere I have a similar cup with knights on it, but no way would I consider it medieval or this one Roman. Its just a decorative cup you find advertised by people like the Franklin Mont. I get regulat emails from this antiquities dealer in the UK and saw a Roman cup made of glass ( the Romans did some great glass) it wasn't anything like this. Shaped more like a small bowl. I would think if you wanted someting really Roman, you might check out frescoes and mosaics and other artworks of the time for a good idea as to form. Seems to me the ancients, as moderns today, decorated their homes, pottery, etc with themes important to them at the time. SimiLAR to Greek pottery showing scenes from legends, like Heracles killing the lion, things like that. Things they thought were cool. Today, we think legonaries were cool so we ( modern people not concerned with authenticity) decorate cups with them to make them look " Roman ". How many people are even aware of ancient Greek and Roman legends and myths now? To the average person, they would not look sufficiently " Roman" or " Greek". This would appeal t the average person with a few extra bucks to blow on something he thinks is cool. Me? If I couldn't have a real Roman cup, an authentic replica would be nice. Nigeria? Scams are part of the GNP. How else are they going to pay to have all those grass huts wired up with electricity? :lol:
Caesar audieritis hoc
Yeah, because all the oil money is tied up in Swiss accounts.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel