Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax
Does anybody know of any decent work done on the linothorax, the reading i have done so far every body talks about how it looks and the time periods it was used in, but when it comes to the actual construction there appears to be alot of debate.<br>
Connolly says about 5mm thick which would relate to around 16 layers of linen, my experiments with this many layers and glue with what i think was the correct glue ( Hide ) has resulted in something that could damn near stop bullets but is about as flexible as concrete. The opinions stated by Nicholas Sekunda in his Greek Hoplite book 480-323 bc (Osprey, Oxford, 2000. p.11) That the "compisite cuirass" was made of metal plates that were covered with linen to prevent rusting. This i feel does not seem to be supported by the evidence, why would you need to cover the then with scale on the outside? Pausaniuas also speaks of greek linen armour as being better for hunting than for war as, " for they let the iron pass through, if the blow be a violent one. They aid hunters,how ever, for the teeth of lions and leopards break of in them"(description of greece book 1). Traulling on the internet only further confuses the issue as one website I came across says there is only one ancient reference to linen armour ( thats just so wrong I wont even start ) needless to say any firm evidence is hard to come across and this is starting to look like a very good topic for my thesis.<br>
<br>
Many thanks for any opinions<br>
<br>
Jason Hoffman<br>
<br>
p.s. The scales of Alexanders armour in the Pompeii Mosaic Bronze or Iron? (they look brown to me) <p></p><i></i>
Khaire!<br>
I'm cross-posting this from your thread on the RAT board. Hope we get some more people in on the discussion!<br>
<br>
I'm guessing you've already seen the linothorax that I made, but here's the URL anyway for general consumption:<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/hoplite/linothor.html<br>
<br>
Frankly, I have not researched the ancient texts for evidence, so you're way ahead of me, there. I do like that quote from Pausanius, though!<br>
<br>
I agree that Sekunda is way off with his linen-over-iron theory. The shoulder flaps are clearly shown as standing straight up when untied, which iron plates just won't do.<br>
<br>
I've only worn my linothorax a couple times, and have not tested any weapons on it, but it was certainly light and comfortable to wear in searing heat, so it beat the heck out of metal in that regard. That might make up for it being not as protective, as far as the ancients were concerned.<br>
<br>
DEFINITELY looking forward to seeing what you turn up in your research! Best of luck, and Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Matt, what weight linen did you use for your armor? I'm considering going insane and trying my hand at making some.<br>
Scaevola <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt,<br>
in your URL you said that linothorax became limp (could be bent) after using it at a hot day. Was it some fault in your technology? I suppose in that condition it was no good for holding against sword or spear thrusts.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>