Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live steel accident
http://germanherald.com/news/Germany_in_...t_Clubbing

Really tragic accident with live steel combat. I was wondering how this would be handled in the various countries of our members, insurance, police, etc. Could it be treated as attempted homicide if it were discovered the two had had an argument the day before?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Well, this is not the first life threatening injury I have heard of in my short career in re-enacting.
The first happened the week after I attended my very first event, when a well known British re-eanactor/swordsman recieved a spear thrust through the eye at a medieval event.
Then the tragic death of a well respected member of this forum while filming a Channel 4
Program on jousting.
Also, watching a series on TV the other night, appropriately called 'The Knights of Mayhem"
the injuries were all real, and potentially life threatening again, no balsa wood tips used there.
I think the drive for realism in these events is following a tragic path.

Sad news again.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ouch that is not good at all
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Actually this was not a life sttel injury but they used Nylon swords from Rawlings.
I guess the flexible tip of Nylon sword got wedged in the eye hole. Of course these weapons are designed to be used with fencing masks and not period armor.
Also this happened during a free sparring session in a medieval tavern and they are normaly do only Reenactment fighting with Codex Belli rules.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Wood, steel, plastic...if rigid, it will penetrate flesh givens the right forces.
Apply enough force to an appropriately small area, and it will cut...hence paper cuts!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is sad to see these accidents but also inherent to the hobby.

Same with some Japanese Koryu displays which went quite wrong by a misparry...
not deadly though.

The knights of Mayhem are total and irresponsible morons. They are an insult to medieval history as well as re-enactment.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
"People thought it was part of the show before all the other actors started screaming for help," said one witness.

OMG. Actors. :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:"People thought it was part of the show before all the other actors started screaming for help," said one witness.

OMG. Actors. :evil:

Is the fact that they forgot the "re-en" bit of the word really the only matter for comment in this instance Robert? How disappointing Confusedad:

From the photographs on the report it looks like a very unfortunate and freak stroke from the opponent. I hope the young man recovers.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Is the fact that they forgot the "re-en" bit of the word really the only matter for comment in this instance Robert? How disappointing Confusedad:
Of course not. I reflected only my sentiment on the 'report'.

As to the accident itself, what could I possibly add, other than the comments made here already? Although I could have done without the suggestion of 'attempted homicide'.. As none of us were there, it's best to see this as an unfortunate accident, and a reminder that live steel is always potentially lethal. Indeed, even to those who do not fight, using weapons (however blunt), is a risky business.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'd bet that plenty of us has scars from accidents. None of my fingers are unscarred and I have a good scar in my side from the time that I managed to stab myself.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
since the police are involved the notion of intent is certainly in their minds. One of the followup comments from the thread underlines the crossover point at which the police get interested:

"Our insurance is third party liability only.If we hurt someone who isn't a member of the society then we are covered.If we hurt each other than that is something we accept to a point.I was in combat & kept striking one guy in the kill zone.He didn't take the hit so i got progressively harder with each strike until i was very nearly doing a full force combat blow.At which time he swung his weapon round point first at head height hitting me a glancing blow to the eye.Most of the blow was absorbed by my helmets nasal bar.If he had blinded me,in those circumstances i would have sued for compensation as in my opinion he swung blindly in a manner in which our society specifically bans."
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
All three deaths through spear/ lance/"sword" penetrating through the eye slit in the helmet. Sounds a pretty clear cut case for banning head shots (most societies do already).
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Yes indeed they do.... :? But seems it is ego that controls a lot of the
rules in many groups. Those afore mentioned Knights of Mayhem as on perhaps extreme example.....very much chasing ratings and keeping the mob happy, rather than safety of the participants. I realise 'jousting',by it's nature is not inherently safe. They do have a strike plate on the armour, but it would appear that when the leader is challenged he wil lgo to extrmems to make sure the others don't walk away...
But still, when a lance shatters, there is no guarantee where they will go.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Knights of Mayhem... LOL. I watched it while it was on and personally, I think the idiots at Nat Geo edited it for conflict. Really. Yeah, their a bunch of cage fighter people, not historians. They say it up front what they are trying to do: "extreme sports." Still, it got really old and i doubt it will ever come back. There's another one on full metal jousting on the Hitler Channel, but I never watch it.

As to getting hurt like this, it depends on what it is... and people need to be careful -- hard to do when you get worked up and the blood is pumping.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Only came across it for the first time last week, saw one episode and the others al llooked the same...lol
Still, the one thing it does I guess is show it is dangerous.
If I win the lottery, I will add a suit of medieval armour and horse trapping to my collection! Wink
Yes, if some one hits you hard, it's hard not to want to hit them back...
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel