Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lancea of speculatores guards
In his book "Riding for Caesar" (London 1994)p. 33 Michael P. Speidel wrote about this weapon:
"The lancea of the speculatores has become known from a gravestone relief: its long shaft ended in a knob, and its short, broad, heart-shaped blade has a cross bar. Both ends therefore, were designed for crowd control."

The references he gave are: Année Epigraphique 1955, 24; A. Giuliano, Museo Nazionale Romano, Le Sculture I, 7 (Rome 1984) 198; M. Clauss, Untersuchungen zu den Principales des römischen Heeres von Augustus bis Diocletian (Diss. Bochum 1973)79; Année Epigraphique 1989, 134

As I wasn't able to consult one of these works, does someone knows which gravestone is meant?

The crossbar sounds conspicious that rather a signum might be depicted...

Thanks in advance!
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
This is the gravestone, although I am not sure that you can make much of the detail of the lance:
http://www.edr-edr.it/edr_programmi/view..._nr=079208
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:As I wasn't able to consult one of these works, does someone knows which gravestone is meant? The crossbar sounds conspicious that rather a signum might be depicted...
Ross Cowan has an article about this in Ancient Warfare magazine, Vol. 5, No. 2. (The weapon on the tombstone is definitely not a signum.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks a lot Renatus and Duncan!

Now I can see that it is not a signum but indeed a very "special" weapon.

I totally forgot about the AW article - perhaps because the printed photo is not of much help.

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speculatores Julian de Vries 0 1,193 04-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Julian de Vries
  Cohors speculatores? Pict 3 2,307 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  lancea Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 10 4,201 11-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Virtus Probi Invicti