Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myceanae Dagger reconstructions
Reconstructions of the inlaid Mycenean daggers.
I saw the originals in Athens a few years back now.
This is the first time I have seen a reconstruction of these, I hope I am not duplicating the item here. Beautiful work. I always wanted to be able to do something like this.
[attachment=3464]420415_10150572509867132_679432131_9409594_1335736055_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
hello

absolutly beautifull daggers,the blade i immagine that is in bronze so the figure are on the original wax and after they were silvered.the handle is in bronze or in wood whit silver sheet?
PierPaolo siercovich
I recall the originals have gold inlay.
The handles I cannot recall, will need to look at my old pictures.
How they are constructed, I cannot say.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
These are absolutely beautiful, the lion hunt dagger has always been a favourite of mine. Incidentally have any of you taken a look at the war scenes on a) seals and b) ivories? Some would say even better.

In fact I recall one find, listed in the "Polemos : le contexte guerrier en Egée à l'âge du Bronze" series, I think II, which was the most ridiculously brilliant over the top lion decorated sword ever.

re: pommel attachments your best bet is some of Nancy Sandar's work I should imagine, it's an interesting topic (production in general) and is sort of always in fashion.
Jass
I was struck by the riveted on handles on many of these bronze swords and daggers.
I guess they must have worked to a degree, and possibly better than one might think. They certainly knew a bit more about bronze than we do.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was struck by the riveted on handles on many of these bronze swords and daggers.
I guess they must have worked to a degree, and possibly better than one might think. They certainly knew a bit more about bronze than we do.

Well, you have to understand that you can't expect, say, perfectly tempered wootz steel blades with the most elegant designs, this is the age of bronze after all. Big Grin

Whatever they had was, simply, better than before and not as good as later in most given situations. In general you have to examine the blades holistically i.e you can actually see evidence of re-designs, innovations and improvement as time goes on. I.e the odd riveted handles give way to better ones; there's evidence for development in blade profile and so on and forth.

Fascinating.
Jass
No, I was amazed by the quality of the bronze blades, and possibly they were later than than riveted handle ones, but you would have thought they had been designed and cast using computer aided technology! Quality!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Images from my childhood. Age 14 I pored over pictures of these daggers and anything Mycenaean, going on to get top grades in Classical Studies exams and going on to a university degree. I used to draw pictures and plans of Mycenae too. When I got to visit back in 2004, I was a Christian going to Jerusalem. Smile
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
It was a moving experinece for me. Felt like I knew it well.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, you didn't mention where you saw these replicas.....
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:Byron, you didn't mention where you saw these replicas.....

Apologies, forgot to add description from FB album. The Ashmolean, Oxford!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel