Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Civil War - Photographic Collection
Review the collection here

Fascinating portraits, uniforms and weapons.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
They are marvellous photographs - hard to imagine they are so old. The ACW, and the Crimean War that just preceded it, are perhaps the first modern wars; as both speak to us via photographic records as well as paintings. In fact, as Don Troiani (an excellent modern day ACW artist) points out, the ACW actually suffered from a distinct lack of contemporary war artists (as has much of American military history) compared to what went on with European armies. But Troiani (whose work I can't recommend highly enough) more than makes up for it. But ironically, the ACW is perhaps bettered covered by the then new art of photography, than the more traditional art of oil on canvas!

Curiously, I was watching both Gods and Generals and Gettysburg recently. They are both very fine films with a great cast in each. However, there is a scene in the latter where J.L. Chamberlain (Jeff Daniels) is talking to his brother on some rocks (Little Round Top) and in the distance you can just about make out cars whizzing along the nearby interstate!
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
No Zouaves in these photos?! Awwww Sad
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)