Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late 1st early 2nd century Javelins
I've been collecting javelin heads for a while and have a few that i'd like to shaft, but i can't seem to find any info on the size and/or diameter of the wooden shafts. Any suggestions?
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Hi Richard,

There are many kinds of javelin. The smaller ones would have shafts of about 14 to 16 mm, about 1.20 long max. Then moving up, the next type would be the longer ones with larger heads, that would be about 22 mm, about 1.80 long, these carry a lot of punch, but can be thrown well. For a dual purpose javelin (long, slender pount) which can be thrown but also used as a hasta, do not exceed 26 mm and about 2 meters long. After that, it becomes a hasta, 32 mm and 2.20 long or a lance, 36 mm and 2.70 long.

Check the fabica of Vvlpivs for some typical javelin heads that may give you inspiration.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army G.S. 0 171 03-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: G.S.
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,031 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Civilian Dress of the early 1st century, help sought Clavdivs 0 961 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Clavdivs