Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Roman novel--HORSES ON THE STORM
Hello everyone:

This is a group mailing to friends, fans, fellow writers, and colleagues in the Roman army community and at the US Cavalry School who have taken an interest in my literary endeavors and have made my novel LEGION a success. This is the quickest way to notify everyone that my second Roman novel, HORSES ON THE STORM, is now in press and should be available this week in hardcover, softcover, Kindle, and NOOK.

When I inflicted LEGION on an unwary public several years ago, I intended it as a stand-alone book and by no means part of a series. Afterward, I had great fun writing APACHERIA, a western novel about a cavalry officer in my own area of southern Arizona. I’m still averse to writing a Roman series—or, for that matter, any series—so this second assault should not be taken as the ominous threat that I’ve begun one. After LEGION appeared, some fans wrote to me and asked when the sequel would come out. It’s the novelist’s cross, borne for his many sins, that his admirers always want more of the same, but he wants less. Any writer who isn’t just a cynical hack loathes the idea of repeating himself. However, as time passed, I realized that there were issues of leadership, as well as honor, that I desired to explore further. Hence, HORSES ON THE STORM. Being a horse owner and having done re-enacting as a student at the US Cavalry School on the Little Bighorn battlefield, I took a particular delight in this undertaking. On the banks of that fabled river, I quickly appreciated the fact that anyone who has used a saber on horseback, or has engaged in cavalry charges downhill into a screaming and shooting throng, has learned—to use Mark Twain’s observation about the unfortunate fellow who grabbed a bull by the tail—sixty or seventy times as much as someone who hasn’t.

One thing that I was certain I did not want to do was to write another tale about life and death at a frontier fort in the forests of Gaul. No work of fiction, least of all mine, is flawless, but LEGION is as good as I’m capable of being on that topic. It stands as my complete statement on the matter. So what to do? Having majored in archaeology in college, and having studied the ancient Near East fairly extensively, I thought I might venture there. I had been introduced to the culture of ancient Judaea by the legendary Professor James B. Pritchard at the University of Pennsylvania, and that charming and erudite gentleman had made a lasting impact. Also, I’ve spent the last third of my life living in a desert, and so I have hard-won experience of its joys and horrors, on foot and on horseback.

Since it was not uncommon for units of the Roman army to be detached for service elsewhere, Rufio and his men were now destined for a long journey. It’s unlikely that any such detachment—called a vexillation—was ever sent so far, and I’ve never found any evidence that a centurion brought along his common-law wife (although it would have been uncharacteristic of my passionate Italian ancestors not to have bent the rules in that regard). In any case, the character of Flavia (with whom many of you are already acquainted) is far too audacious to be left at home. So the wild woman makes the trip, pedants be damned. As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle observed, it’s unwise to become a slave to trivial details, and sometimes a writer simply must be masterful.

I’m profoundly grateful for your support, as well as your patience, all these years. I hope the new novel repays your time. If you enjoy it, I’d greatly appreciate your considering writing a review for Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Legendary mystery novelist Raymond Chandler once said that a writer cannot claim title to his own reputation, but, rather, he holds it in trust. I take that very seriously. Thank you, and may your trust always be repaid.

Your friend,

Bill Altimari

[url=http://]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/horses-on-the-storm-william-altimari/1039660605?ean=9780972872645

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In the early Principate, vexillations could be sent a long distance. The legion I reenact, Legio III Cyrenaica, sent a small vexillation to assist from the continental side with Claudius' invasion of Britain in AD 43. The legion's base was Nicopolis, just outside Alexandria, Egypt. A centurion of Legio III Cyrenaica left a votive altar dedicated to a local Celtic goddess in fulfillment of a vow.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I'm outlining a novel in which the main character, a Marine, will be sent in a vexillation from Syria/Judea to assist in Claudius' AD43 invasion. Maybe he'll meet up with some of the 3rd Cyr.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quintius:

Many thanks! I thought I might have been stretching the limits of credibility--but then, with the Romans, that's actually hard to do! I appreciate the corrective!

Regards,
Bill Altimari
And regarding the "common law wife". Rufio, IIRC, is a centurion. This early in Augustus' rule her status might be kind of up in the air - the date commonly understood for the beginning of a formalized marriage ban is 13 BC - Centurions eventually appear to have been able to marry in service. However, being a citizen, he (Rufio) would be expected to be married to a citizen for the marriage to be recognized officially. The earliest diplomas given to auxiliaries are dated to Claudius' reign, which included conubium - the right to marry a non-citizen woman in their first marriage after retirement. Soldiers from the Legions did NOT get that; they were expected to marry citizen women upon retirement. I don't remember now (the first novel is at home) whether she had any grant of citizenship.
Quinton Johansen
Auxilia were allowed to be married during the Principate, right? to a citizen or non-citizen. But legionary soldiers were not allowed to be married during their term of enlistment, as I understand things.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Fascinating stuff, Quintius--thank you! Yes, Rufio is a centurion, and the first book (LEGION)takes place in 15 BC,this new novel the following year. So I guess I'm on the cusp with these two books. I'd be interested to know if there was any sort of unspoken marriage ban before the 13 BC date. As you know, sometimes these sorts of things exist informally before any formal decree.

With regard to Flavia--no, she's not a citizen.
Quote:Auxilia were allowed to be married during the Principate, right? to a citizen or non-citizen. But legionary soldiers were not allowed to be married during their term of enlistment, as I understand things.
Until the prohibition on marriage was lifted, apparently by Septimius Severus, neither legionaries nor auxiliaries were permitted to marry during their period of service. It has even been suggested that pre-existing marriages were automatically dissolved on enlistment but I do not hold with that. Of course, soldiers did form stable relationships during service which they looked upon as marriages but these were not officially recognised.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I searched for you book on Amazon, but didn't find it. Any helps?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here you go, David:

http://www.amazon.com/Horses-Storm-William-Altimari/dp/0972872647/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331750036&sr=1-3
Thanks. Wonder why it wouldn't come up on the search? I got lots of other horse books, though, I guess that's something, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Good question! I'm always reminded of the terrifying statement by the Russian premier in FAIL SAFE: "Computers have their own logic." Indeed!
I've seen it on the Barnes & Noble website, but am going to see if I can order it to be delivered to my local store.
Quinton Johansen
I know others who've done that, so it should work out fine. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Storm of Spears by Christopher Matthew batesmotel 4 2,537 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Last Post: KrimzonKnight