Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Century Spatha Dimensions
Gaius Julius Caesar wrote

Quote:They are maybe not rare, but yes they are fairly expensive.
But possibly not as expensive as a pattern welded blade...just!
I have them somewhere, but they are in a box, and I am away shortly or i would take some photos and post.
Sorry I am not helping much here.

Any comments or friendly advice a big help Gaius

Conal wrote

Quote:I have the Miks book and also some of the Illerup books. There are a lot of swords in there.

Do you just want a plain generic type of something a little unusual?

Where abouts are you in Somerset? I'm down in Poole, Dorset and would be happy to meet up so you can flick though and I can copy what you fancy and e-mail it to you.

Thanks Conal, I am in North Somerset so not too close but appreciate the offer. Really I just need plain generic average dimensions. I have been down the road of reconstructing actual finds in a slightly later period, and although very rewarding when it goes right, it's not easy to get items made, so I am going for a more generic approach in this period.

Medicus Matt wrote

Quote:Which culture Mike?
Lots of nice bog deposits to look at, Illerup, Kraghul, Nydam, Ejsbol etc. If you can drag yourself up to Nailsea you can have a browse through the reports.

Nailsea is a bit closer to home Matt, thanks for the offer. Not quite clear on which culture, although I have vague ideas of Dobunni, so still Pagan if the mid to late 4th century temples round here are anything to go by. Breaking new ground here for me, so would be good to meet up again, perhaps on Wansdyke or similar, work and family allowing :? .
Mike McGuinness

Messages In This Thread
4th Century Spatha Dimensions - by Gerontius - 03-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Re: 4th Century Spatha Dimensions - by Gerontius - 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Re: 4th Century Spatha Dimensions - by Virilis - 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Re: 4th Century Spatha Dimensions - by Conal - 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Re: 4th Century Spatha Dimensions - by Gerontius - 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Re: 4th Century Spatha Dimensions - by Kai - 03-19-2012, 12:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where\'s the best place to get a 3rd/4th Century Spatha Vindex 43 12,704 12-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius