Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Second Augustan Legion
Hello all
I was wondering if anyone had bought or seen this book.."the Second Augustan Legion and the roman military machine" by Richard R Brewer.
I gather that this book is based on the lectures given at the Roman Legionary Museum at Caerleon.
I have very little info on this book hence i do not wish to part with a lot of money to find out that it only covers the Legion whilst based in Wales.
Any advice could help me decide wether to purchase it or not.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Kevin
Quel suprise! I have this...

Ch1 - The origins and early history (Keppie)
Ch2 - Early Roman campaigns in south-west of Britain :wink: (Manning)
Ch3 - Early Roman campaigns in Wales (Jarrett rev Webster)
Ch4 - II Aug in north Britain (Breeze)
Ch5 - II Aug in west Britain (Fulford)
Ch6 - Officers of II Aug (FAB information!) (A Birley)
Ch7 - The framework of an imperial legion (Speidel)
Ch8 - Soldier and civilian; life beyond the ramparts (Maxfield)
Ch9 - The legions in the Later Roman Empire (Casey)
Ch10 - The future of Roman military archaeology (Reece)

So yes; a L'Oreal book...because it's worth it :mrgreen:

Edited to add: I got it for a reduced price at the museum in Caerleon. They may have had more than one copy - worth an ask?

Second Edit: There's a copy here for £29.99 (Better than Amazon which was £45 second hand!!)

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/shop/?id=291
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks for the info....been waiting some time for one to come in on Amazon.
Thats a must have for me then.
Kevin
Kevin
Check out the Museum of Wales link BEFORE Amazon!!! (second edit!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I did see the RRP was £29.99....then Amazon had it for £45...i thought it must be a supply and demand thing going on to inflate the price that much.
Thanks Moi
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:I gather that this book is based on the lectures given at the Roman Legionary Museum at Caerleon.
I've put my review of the original lectures on Scribd here, in case you're interested in seeing what lectures 1-8 looked like -- they seem to be chapters 1-4 and 6-9 of the book. Plus, it looks as if Michael Jarrett's 1993 lecture (published in 1994) was revised by Peter Webster. (Jarrett died in November 1994.)

The originals cost me £32.50, so £29.99 for the book version sounds like a bargain!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thank you for your recomendations/confirmation of my required info from this book.
It has been ordered and hopefully on route....total cost with p&p was £33.49...so your £32.50 still beat me.
Thanks again
Kevin
Kevin
Ah yes, the lectures may have been cheaper but the book is rather sumptuous. I'm aure it'll be a great addition to your shelves.
Moi Watson

Quote:Ah yes, the lectures may have been cheaper but the book is rather sumptuous.
And a hardback, too (I believe).

btw It doesn't happen to say what Webster has done to Jarrett's chapter, does it?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
There is indeed a quick introductory paragraph.

Check your email!
Moi Watson

Book arrived today (wednesday). I havn't been able to put it down for the last 3 hours, full of info that my grey matter requires.
Thanks for the above advice on this book. Well worth the money.
Kevin
Kevin
Big Grin

Glad it is useful and thought provoking. A real gem.
Moi Watson

So it's worth getting Kevin? As a member of the II here in Canada, I thought it may be a neat book to have. I wonder if the museum would ship overseas, or if I'll have to go through amazon.

Legion: TBD
Hi Magnus
I have checked the international shipping rate on the Museums website and its.....wait for it...£20...ouch. That puts the total price at £49.99. Total cost from Amazon is £51.95 international.
If you can hang on for a couple of days i will weigh my book and see how much postage is to Canada...then possibly it may be worth someone in the UK buying it for you and shipping it on. Depends on the postage though, i'll check at the post office tomorrow.
Kevin
Kevin
Wow...thanks Kevin. Appreciate that!

Legion: TBD