Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT on Facebook, others
(I really ought to upload a photo)
The use of Facebook for event and other publicity seems like a good fit. Add in an event, but I am of two minds about clicking 'message everyone' since we are so dispersed.

I happen to be friended with some ~600 people, and keep getting suggestions for friends of all kinds of European reenactors, many of whom I am sure are not acquainted with RAT. This may be some of that 'six degrees of separation' kind of thing, where you are connected to reenactors most of the rest of us may not know. Encourage 'sharing' of their events etc into
RAT-FAB might also help encourage them to find out where their item is being shared.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:... The use of Facebook for event and other publicity seems like a good fit. Add in an event, but I am of two minds about clicking 'message everyone' since we are so dispersed ...

Yes, I know what you mean. I have to say I am a bit perplexed as to what to do on Facebook with RAT. I'm sure it will find its own level at some point - but apart from casual or unofficial snippets of info, and chit-chat amongst members, I'm not sure what its real value is. It will never really replace this forum. I'd be interested to hear what others think regarding the pros and cons of it. By all means continue with and perhaps make a success of it, but I am wondering a little what its real value will be. I recognise it might help attract new members to this august web site - assuming we are on a recruitment drive?
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:I'm not sure what its real value is. It will never really replace this forum.
I agree, RAT/FB can't replace any function of this forum. But it's a great way to advertise the forum I think, and draw new members (younger members) to this place. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I agree and had no intention of replacing the forum. I am not sure how and where it will go as it finds its own level, but I did want to grab the name before someone else did and might give RAT another meaning on FB. There are over 800 million FB users, after all, so the publicity opportunity alone is great.

Besides, FB is also a kind of search function, so people using it would put in 'roman army talk' and expect to find something. Now they can. .

(I actually like calling it RAT-FAB, and if someone creates it in Google+ it can be RAT-GOO).
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Glad to see RAT on Facebook. I've been on it for some time, but nobody can find me. Too many "A.J. Campbells" out there! Now, I'll slide over to Facebook RAT and make some kind of dumb comment. I'm very good at it. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:give RAT another meaning on FB
It can reach a wider audience, and if the link to the forum gets posted from time to time, it can make for people finding us here who would not have found us otherwise--for better or worse.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have added an intro to the introductory text on the FB page that now, at least on my browsers, and added the URL to the board. This looks like it will keep the URL prominent for all visitors.

"What follows are the guiding principles of Roman Army Talk, established over ten years ago on our international discussion board at
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat"

"The First Principle on Roman Army Talk (affectionally known as RAT) is to respect your fellow community members, each other's opinions, countries, politics, religions and cultures. RAT is.." etc
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?