Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaic Sandals
Giannis,

Great looking sandals! I have a question on construction. Did you glue the layers of sole together, or are the nails holding it all together? If glued, what kind did you use so the sandals still flex when you walk in them?

Thanks,
Cheryl Boeckmann
I used modern glue, having knowlege that the ancients could have used flexible waterproof glues. I could perhaps avoid it by using much more nails, but i didnt find such indication in the soles i saw in the Kerameikos museum.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Hello everyone. I'm back with another pair of archaic sandals i made for my wife. This is the most common type of sandals, worm by both men and women alike. Although they are very light, they are some times seen worn in battle scenes, some other times by men in civilian clothing and some times by women.
I dyed them with beetroot (Beta vulgaris) and then waxed the leather.
[attachment=6706]DSC_0402.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6707]DSC_0412.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6708]DSC_0413.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6709]DSC_0408.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6710]DSC_0411.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6711]DSC_0409.JPG[/attachment]
Khairete
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
Those look fantastic! Could you post a pattern for these sandals and a picture of the nails? I just finished a pair of caligae and would like to make a pair of these.
Hi Marcus Norwood, I really don't have a pattern for these, they're very simple in design and in the first photo you can practically see the whole pattern. The palmette serves to tighten and loosen the double strip so you have to make it tight enough. See the first post of this threads for more photos of originals. The palmette as a design was my own inspiration.
The nails I used are not based on a specific ancient find. Iron hobnails of various sizes have been found. You can use small roman hobnails but I didn't opt for that for a woman's pair of sandals.
I have found evidence of stitching around the sole on the Kerameikos museum soles.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
A tutorial then? I don't want to make any assumptions lol
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt