Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman military equipment in Republican times
Could anyone give me a brief overview what kind of equipment Roman soldiers carried during the Republican period? I'm especially interested in the things they used for protection (helmets, shield, lorica?). On the internet there is mainly information about the time A.D.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I guess there is a subject opened in the forum, I think so. Meanwhile, I should ask you to what period exactly you refer, because the Republic lasts from 509 BC to 27 BC, with the Principate, and in those 500 years you have many changes...

About equipment, you can find some pieces of information in the Goldsworthy book "The complete roman army"; in the Michael M. Sage "The republican roman army"; and also in "Roman military equipment" from M.C. Bishop and J.C.N. Coulston. I talk about english-written books, because in spanish (my mother tongue Smile)there are several works about it in Fernando Quesada Sanz's books, José Manuel Roldán Hervás, Antonio Duplá, Guillermo Fatás or Francisco Marco Simón, among others.

Of course, there is the famous Polybius book about the roman army, written in the II Century BC.

Surely they carried helmets, shields and armours, but is a too wide and not well known period to say something more especific. Smile

Hope this could be of some help. Smile
David P. Sandoval
(Ludi Laietani - Athenea Promakhos)
Actually, and not wanting to sound like a know-it-all, there. Is a shit load of info available on this forum, and
Generally available, on the rebublican period!
Simplest ex is to say they wore montefortino helmets, chainmail/ Brest plates long, curved scuta with spina and bosses of butterfly or acorn variety
They may have used hispaniensis gladius or other swords available in the appropriate period,
Heavy pila, or hasta...depending on the troop type, and era in the republic!
Loads of references, polybius, Caesar et al! :-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thank you for the suggestions!
You might try the AERA web site. 2nd century B.C. is their era of focus.
Douglas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gambesons in roman times? Draugr the Greedy 18 2,992 05-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
Information A Sixth or Early Seventh Century Ad Iconography of Roman Military Equipment in Egypt Condottiero Magno 0 1,035 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  The Roman Military in the Pre-Republican Period OnionWilliams 0 854 02-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Last Post: OnionWilliams