Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onager/ Ballista use in a Roman fort
Hello everyone.

Thank you for taking a moment to read my thread. Terribly sorry if it sounds ridiculous but I am curious if anyone out there has read any information of Roman siege artillery being used in a defensive capacity- ie to repel hordes of attacking infantry perhaps.

I am a toy soldier collector and my wife stunned me this past Christmas with buying me a couple dozen pieces for a Roman fort. I own some ballista and one onager and was not planning on having my legion in a defensive position- they would be using their equipment in a siege capacity. Sooooo, Im sort of in a quandry here.

I appreciate any input you fellas can provide. I am relatively new to Roman Army interests and understanding the ancient world and am looking forward to continuing my journey of knowledge with the folks on this forum

Warmest personal regards
CC
Do a google search for Ammianus Marcellinus. Have a read of his history. He gives a very graphic description of the Siege of Amida, at which he was present. This details Roman artillery used to repell besiegers.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:I am curious if anyone out there has read any information of Roman siege artillery being used in a defensive capacity- ie to repel hordes of attacking infantry perhaps.
Sounds as if you need some Osprey ancient siege warfare books! Wink
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Currahee Chris post=308180 Wrote:I am curious if anyone out there has read any information of Roman siege artillery being used in a defensive capacity- ie to repel hordes of attacking infantry perhaps.
Sounds as if you need some Osprey ancient siege warfare books! Wink

Cheers to that Mr. Campbell!! Big Grin

Thank you both for providing your insights. I am now set to task on putting my display together!!
I think it has been suggested that the fort of Breminium at High Rochester north of Hadrian's Wall had positions that may have been built to carry ballista.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:... the fort of Bremenium at High Rochester north of Hadrian's Wall ...
There's a nice graphic by Andrew Brozyna in Ancient Warfare magazine, Vol. II, No. 2.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ballista, scorpio, carroballista, onager etc. usage on the battle fields CaesarAugustus 4 1,241 11-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Roman Steel Bow Ballista? Koyuncu 7 3,468 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Koyuncu
  Roman crossbows (hand ballista?) Darth_Roach 8 3,675 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs