Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ibero-Chalcidian helmet
Good evening to everybody,
probably you already know very well the matter(in that case this topic is unnecessary).
Few weeks ago, during a seminar at the University of Paris, Raimon Graells i Fabregats, of the Roman-Germanic Central Museum (RGZM), introduced in his intervention “Les casques ibéro-chalcidiens : de l’étude à la récupération (IVe-IIIe siècles avant J.-C.)” the typology of Iberian helmets defined Ibero-Chalcidian, dated from 4th century BC till the end of the 3 century BC.

Everything starts, as explained Graells i Fabregats, with the death of Axel Guttman and the fragmentation and the sale, in several Auction houses, of his rich collection of ancient armaments.
Seeing in an auction house an helmet defined "Ibero-Celtic" (?) the investigations started. A team of Spanish researchers, first of all Fernando Quesada Sanz, has individualized and recognized a group of 28 helmets of the new type Ibero-Chalcidian (between privates collections and museums). In this group, 12 are from the region of Soria (next to Numatia), held by the team as the possible origin of these kind of helmets. How this typology has arrived (they think that all the helmets have been made in Spain) is not explained yet. Mercenaries?
This complex and decorated helmet, fruit of local artisans, was compared to the Chalcidian helmet (and his Italian variant) for its small nasal bar, the division between the superior (dome) and inferior part, a straight neck guard and the cheeks pieces (attached separately like the Italo- Chalcidian).

[attachment=3216]Ib-Cal.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3219]3_2012-02-29.jpg[/attachment]

1. Element of decoration attached with rivets, that ends with a dog or snake head
2. Peculiar crest holder
3. Functional element for holding feathers or horns
4. Rings for maintaining the tension of the crest.

-Evolution of Chalcidian helmet (Antike Helme - Handbuch mit Katalog)
[attachment=3217]EvolutionChalcidian.jpg[/attachment]

- Italo-Chalcidian helmet from Capodignano(Salerno, Italia)
[attachment=3220]Italo-calcidesedaCapodignanoSalernoItalia.jpg[/attachment]

This is a very short (and certainly superficial) recapitulation of the interesting and detailed intervention of Graells i Fabregats, I hope I provided a useful information.
Very best.
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Certainly useful information Big Grin had come across one of these on Hermann Historica a while ago but couldn't find much info on it. A quick google for more of the type reveals HOLY CRAP ONE HAS WINGS Confusedhock:

[img width=300]http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/images57_max/81556.jpg[/img]

These are some of the few helmets to have been found in Spain from this time period I believe? Certainly helps provide more info on how warriors may have been equipped. Interesting that it also differs so much from the 'classic' Iberian bascinet-style helmet.
Jack
I read that maybe this type of helmets were from roman italic allies.

In any case a beautifull piece of art.
The one with wings is outstanding :o ... I have also seen some beautiful modern reconstructions with feathers and crest.
Quote:These are some of the few helmets to have been found in Spain from this time period I believe?
I think that these belong to the group of 12 coming from the Soria, but I have seen others “partial” and also pieces (now referable to this typology) all coming from central Spain.

Here is a detail of the Element of decoration and better images of the first helmet.
[attachment=3231]part.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3232]iberocal.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3233]rear.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Gorgeous helmet and indeed very Italic. But Ibero-Celtic helmets will definetely have had their examples on which they were based...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:A team of Spanish researchers, first of all Fernando Quesada Sanz, has individualized and recognized a group of 28 helmets of the new type Ibero-Chalcidian (between privates collections and museums). ... they think that all the helmets have been made in Spain
That's interesting, because in Armas de la antigua Iberia (2010), Quesada seemed to imply that he thought an Italian origin was more likely for these helmets than a local one - "Quizá se trata de un conjunto de cascas de tropas romanas auxiliares capturados por los celtíberos" (p.157); "un casco de tipo suritálico, quizás de un auxilar romano de dicho procedencia" (p.230); "cascos de bronce de tipo itálico, con modificaciones locales ... Otra opinión los considera cascos propriamente celtíberos" (p.231).

I wonder why the different emphasis?
cheers,
Duncan
Good question, Duncan...

When I wrote that (in late 2008, this is why journal articles are better at this research things), the only example of the type in proper archaeological context came from the cemetery at Numantia, and the relevant burial should probably dated to the mid-second century BC (Nobilior? Mancinus? I thought...). All the others examples lacked context, but parallel, overalltype&some finer details pointed towards a Southern Italian provenance.
But we have now traced two more examples of helmets in burials that should be dated to the first half of the third century BC. One of them is a fragment, just a top-knob characteristic of the type, from La Osera (Avila, western Meseta, Vettonia). The other one, still unpublished, is an almost complete helmet from an Iberian cemetery in Cuenca, a frontier or buffer zone between Iberians and Celtiberians. The context of both burials is third century BC, and probably first half, which is interesting as it puts both helmets in the Peninsula before the arrival not only of the Romans but also of Hamilcar Barca&sons. However, thge type is undoubtedly of Italian origin/inspiration, and at least another example comes from an underwater site in the Mediterranean coast. Overall, it now seems that the helmets are of local production, not just captured pieces locally modified as was my first hypothesis five years ago. But things can still change...
Regarding 'Armas de la Antigua Iberia'... it will probably be available for a much wider international audience in the near future...
Cheers
Many thanks - I had wondered if it might be details of the workmanship that had changed your mind, but the early dating seems decisive.

I presume "a much wider international audience" means an English translation of the book is on the way? It's a magnificent book, and I'm sure it will find a very eager readership. But I shan't regret struggling through the Spanish version!
cheers,
Duncan
Big Grin
It is good to hear this.

The Armas de... series should be in all shelf of military history fans