Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manning Helmet Embellishments
I am contemplating sending my Manning helmet to Dioskouri for a "face-lift" and attached are the proposed changes I have drawn on the helmet itself. The quandary I find myself in, however, is I am also on the Dioskouri helmet waiting list, so I am debating on whether or not to go through with this proposed upgrade to a helmet I might not be keeping after the Dioskouri is released. Any thoughts?

P.S.: Sorry about the blurry images.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Very nice !! it looks like the decoration on the Greek helmet found off the coast of Israel ! Smile

http://www.livescience.com/18700-ancient...rrior.html

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Interesting! The workmanship on that helmet looks surprisingly akin to that of the chase work produced by Dioskouri. I wasn't familiar with this particular find - thanks for the link, I feel somewhat verified with my chase design now!
Bill
How would that detail work be done?
I'm not certian, but as best as I could guess, they would chase the design into the helmet (slightly different from engraving or etching - a bit deeper). To try to repousse' this wouldn't be possible, as the bronze is too thick to hammer any such tight details as I have drawn; plus, they would "texture" some areas to give light-reflective contrasts. To see examples of other chasings, you can go to the Dioskouri website and select the xiphos or the kopis section. The same type and quality of work is what I'm wanting on the helmet - it is tantamount to a deep etching appearance. Big Grin
Bill
I wouldn't trust anyone other than Manning Imperial with my kit. If you want changes to it send it back and get him to do it. His work is the best and his portfolio speaks leagues above anyone else. From the looks of Dioskuri he seems to be quite new to re production pieces, with only a handful of pictures on his site would not give me the confidence to let him loose on my gear.
I truly appreciate your input and respect your opinion, but at the risk of sounding argumentative, "new" doesn't always equate to "not as good". Also, I haven't seen this kind of work anywhere on Manning's site. To be fair, however, I haven't contacted Manning for a quote, but I am (personally) a bit reluctant to send my helmet to a manufacturer who charges over $1,200 for just a helmet crest Confusedhock: . I would also be without a helmet for a very long time if I sent it to them. Dioskouri assures me they can do the work in approximately two weeks for around $600 (+ -). Confusedmile:
Bill
No you don't sound argumentative, and I agree that the wait can be a killer, but that's only because we live in a world of instant gratification, and we've been trained to have what we want and to get it now! I look forward to seeing this Dioskuri helm and crest as it's being talked up quite a bit so expectations are high. Myself I have some lovely new pieces arriving within the next 12 months from manning imperial and will be looking forward to posting here on rat. Whoever the supplier of helmets and crests I'm thankful it's not Depeekas button nose helm! (one of which I used to own!!!)
Yes, the old ways are gone and most of us (myself included) are spoiled by the speed we can expect results these days. At my age, I would refuse to wait 12 months for anything; too much could happen in the mean time! Hopefully, I will still be here when your stuff arrives - I would love to see it. :wink: I rejoice to hear of your disdain for the "tongue-depressor" nasal pieces on those pseudo-Corinthians; they remind me of those little wooden ice cream spoons we used to get at ice cream parties in grade school. Greek stuff should be left to Greeks to reproduce. :lol:
Bill
Here are some progress pictures of my helmet, sent to me from Dioskouri this weekend. I think you can now understand why I trust them to do such work. There is a decidedly Ionian flavor to my design, which Dioskouri has executed to perfection. There will be minor changes to the remaining chasings, but I will leave those decisions up to Dioskouri. These photos represent only two days' work, and the helmet should be finished within the next two days, then back in my grubby little hands!:grin:

Sorry about the sideways images!! :roll:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
So how much is this costing you?
whoe! nice! now im really looking forward to when they finally have their new helmets!
Well, since everyone's project is unique (and in order to not give any misleading information), I suggest you contact Dioskouri to get a quote. Such work hired elsewhere would cost much more and take much longer to complete. There is also the added "comfort zone" factor of being confident the contractor KNOWS what is and what is not Greek, and will not permit incongruity in this area.
Bill
I am told the wax has been shipped to the foundry, so we could expect to see completion of the molds in the next few weeks (I hope!!). There will, no doubt, be minor corrections before the final casting stage, but it appears there is light at the end of the tunnel. :grin:
Bill
BLING !!!
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New chalcidean helmet by Manning Imperial Virilis 1 2,532 01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar