Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Phrygian\' helmet
Yes, quite correct Ruben....I was really only concerned to show that the 'Thracian helmet', while it evolved over time, lasted from the second quarter of the 5 C BC into the 2 C BC, and was likely in use to the end of Macedon's independence ( the later 'Antigonid' Thracian helmet appears on coins of Perseus ), in answer to Giannis' question about its popularity with illustrators of the Phalanx.......

BTW, I emailed you on another topic a couple of days ago - did you receive it OK??
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I would agree with Giannis' estimate that this style of helmet dates from the second quarter of the 5 C BC. The cheekpieces indeed look as if they are a step in the evolution to 'Bearded Phrygian' type. However, here were undoubtedly many variations in cheek-pieces.

It is incorrect that none have been found, Connolly illustrated a low-combed early 5C example, now in the British museum, in his books, and here is an even earlier example....

I think this one appears in pottery before 460 B.C.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii45 ... arting.jpg

Kind regards
"Antigonid" evolved Thracian helmet? sweet name ...
Jörg
Quote:"Antigonid" evolved Thracian helmet? sweet name ...

I don't think I've ever seen it called "Antigonid" by anyone other than Paul...

How's your research coming? Any progress on the thesis?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It's going very well. It's a good thing to be able to handle all these helmets in person and examine them in detail.
Ruben, I can't thank you enough for making me aware of the Volos-helmet. This piece solves many riddles.
Jörg
Quote:
The Oracle:31qks09h Wrote:"Antigonid" evolved Thracian helmet? sweet name ...

I don't think I've ever seen it called "Antigonid" by anyone other than Paul...
:lol: ...I was being descriptive, rather than allocating a name.....I suppose a more accurate description would be "the type of evolved Thracian helmet that appears to have seen common use during the reigns of the Antigonid Kings in Macedonia". These helmets have also been referred to as "low-crested late Macedonian style" or similar by Duncan Head and others ( see e.g. AotMaPW, 1982)
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
This is really interesting, I was used to see these helmets in hellenistic context, I thought it was an stylised evolution of the thracian helmet with the long cheekguards, but seeing immortal's picture, it seems that these cheekguard are closer to my helmet's cheekguards style than to the bearded ones.
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phrygian cap under helmet? Giannis K. Hoplite 19 6,451 08-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Servio Caro (Javier Sánc
  Photo of Phrygian Helmet needed philsidnell 3 1,709 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Last Post: philsidnell
  "Backwards" Phrygian helmet? Dan Diffendale 9 4,542 01-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus