Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hand forged hobnails
I decided to make some hobnails as prototypes for eventually sending to a US nail manufacturer. I found the process surprisingly easy. It only took about 3 hours to make all the tools I need and make about 15 nails. the last two took me 3 heats and I expect I will be able to make them in 2 heats. The shanks are a bit long but that is correctable. Just thought I'd share some of the initial results.

Dean Cunniningham

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
Nice work Dean.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What tools did you make?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:What tools did you make?

Having just done my basic smithing skills course I'd be interested to know that too, please.

Did you use a punch template then draw them out?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
We respectfully request a step-by-step, sir.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It is one of the most basic blacksmithing tasks, nail making. The tools I made were from scrap. I made a crude nail header tool and a conical punch.

I used 1/4 inch round stock, drew it out to form the shank. For this part you need to use the sharpest edge of your anvil so as to form a nice clean shoulder. Then I placed my hot cut in the hardy hole and cut the stock to begin the process of separating the new nail from it. The head is roughly formed in the process. Placed the shank in the nail header and broke the newly formed nail off and replaced my round stock back into the fire. Then quickly while I still had a red hot nail used my conical punch ( female impression of a cone) to form the head. Quickly quench and the hobnail drops right out. Rinse and repeat as fast as you can.
Dean Cunningham,

Here is a you tube video I found that shows the basic process. The only difference is I use smaller round stock and I use a punch to form the head. Please note: I NEVER recommend leaving your hot cut in the hardy while using the anvil for another process. It can quickly lead to disaster and it is a good habit to get into to remove it before using the anvil for something other than cutting. I intend on making a video of my process when I return home in a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9nIvqmSE...ata_player
Dean Cunningham,

Thanks for the info.

Yes...I've made lots of nails! The method demo'd is different to the one I've been taught to use, but then I have struggled to get the shank in the middle of the head! Got there in the end as my tutor insisted on accuracy and consistency of strike! Quite good at horsehoe nails now. :wink:

Looking forward to your video - do you have photos of the tools you've made too? Presumably the punch is tempered? To what degree?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Getting the shank in the middle can easily be achieved by turning the stock with every hammer blow sort of rolling it. That smith does as many do and only turns it a quarter turn one way and then back. I turn it 1/4 turn then continue 1/4 turn sort of rolling it 1/4 turn each time. This centers the shank pretty well.
Dean Cunningham,