Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Numbers and Local of Legions 125-100 BC
Hello,

I am trying to find out the sources that would tell me during the 150-100 BC time period how many different legions existed at a year, where they were localized and for what reason, ie. Fighting in N. Africa during Jugurthine War, Occupation Duty/Quelling Rebellion in Cisalpine Gaul, etc.

I understand that few if any original sources would list this as I want it. However, has any military historian since pieced this all together and come up with an idea? Any ideas who to read to find out?

gratia,
Nathan Rosenstein has that for early -II, but I don't think we have a continuous narrative for the period you are asking about. So I'm not sure if the data for such a list exists.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
The book you want (at least as an invaluable starting point) is Peter Brunt's Italian Manpower 225 BC-AD 14 (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1971). Brunt's work includes detailed surveys of what Roman (and Italian) forces were doing, and where, throughout the period.

The book itself is quite expensive (200 GBP upwards, I should probably sell my copy!), but there seems to be a full text copy online at questia.com (a subscription site but you can, I think, get a free trial): http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=115983318

blue skies

Tom
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]
Wonderful book, but I have no idea where Questia's pricing is on their site. How much is it?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Cheaper copies but still a bit eye-watering Confusedhock:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Search...n+Manpower
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks for the heads up about P.A. Brunt's book. I will try to find it at the local college library, they report having it but its checked out now.

Again, many thanks.